Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2013, 02:05:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2013, 02:01:27 PM
A flight of stairs.  I don't know what the demands will be, but I imagine there will be some demands and if they are not fulfilled in a certain amount of time bombing will commence.  Do you think this is an impossible scenario?

I think it's a very strange scenario.  Our ostensible motivation for striking is something that has already happened.  As Max said, they can't bring the victims back to life.  Definitely not in 48 hours.

There was an Ultimatum for Libya, an ultimatum for Iraq and an ultimatum for Afghanistan.  It's just the way these things are done.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grallon

So my American friends - are you ready for yet another round in the the middle-eastern quagmire?  Obama should detonate a nuke high above Damascus - as a warning.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grallon on August 30, 2013, 08:01:35 PM
So my American friends - are you ready for yet another round in the the middle-eastern quagmire?  Obama should detonate a nuke high above Damascus - as a warning.

G.

I like the cut of your jib.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

G.

He will do nothing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

If you don't put boots on the ground the chances of a quagmire are zero Kelvin.  You can walk away from a bombing campaign any time you want to.

But to answer your're question, hell no.  We can't afford it.

Warspite

It is an interesting fact that the British press and Westminster commentariat are infinitely more concerned by the "special relationship" than the public.

Cameron and Clegg did not make a convincing case for military action. It's all well and good to talk of limited punitive strikes, but the reality is that the situation is heavily complicated by the ongoing civil war. The government gave a good reason of why we should take action. But it did not give any indication as to what the intended outcome would be, beyond some waffly notion of "upholding international norms" (through the violation of other international norms, it turns out).

I agree that chemical weapons use is a dangerous crossing of an important red line that must be deterred and punished, but I don't agree that we should rush into action for the sake of credibilty without showing how they fit a strategy of ending the civil war.

There was no need to rush to a vote before the US presented its intelligence assessment, and the UN inspectors returned, other than the narcissistic need for Cameron and the UK to show they were "taking the lead". Ultimately I don't think this incident is a turning point in the "special relationship" or a reflection of the UK's wider posture on the world stage -- it's a reflection of cack-handed domestic politics.

By the way chaps, we're already intervening in Syria. Bombing Assad over CW use is just escalation. Important point.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on August 31, 2013, 01:13:55 AM

G.

He will do nothing.

I bet the admit the Obama administration will take some form of military action.  You wanna take that bet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on August 31, 2013, 04:22:09 AM
It is an interesting fact that the British press and Westminster commentariat are infinitely more concerned by the "special relationship" than the public.

Cameron and Clegg did not make a convincing case for military action. It's all well and good to talk of limited punitive strikes, but the reality is that the situation is heavily complicated by the ongoing civil war. The government gave a good reason of why we should take action. But it did not give any indication as to what the intended outcome would be, beyond some waffly notion of "upholding international norms" (through the violation of other international norms, it turns out).

I agree that chemical weapons use is a dangerous crossing of an important red line that must be deterred and punished, but I don't agree that we should rush into action for the sake of credibilty without showing how they fit a strategy of ending the civil war.

There was no need to rush to a vote before the US presented its intelligence assessment, and the UN inspectors returned, other than the narcissistic need for Cameron and the UK to show they were "taking the lead". Ultimately I don't think this incident is a turning point in the "special relationship" or a reflection of the UK's wider posture on the world stage -- it's a reflection of cack-handed domestic politics.

By the way chaps, we're already intervening in Syria. Bombing Assad over CW use is just escalation. Important point.

Probably because the public at large don't gain a great deal from the special relationship while the government does.  I can sympathize not getting involved.  I don't want to get involved.  Obama is going to intervene because he stuck his dick out.

mongers

An good analysis, Warspite.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Bu that's not the issue here.  We're talking about bombing the horse, not the cart.