News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Johan hates EUII !!!

Started by sbr, May 28, 2009, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

There is a somewhat interesting EUII v. EUIII thread over at P'dox where Johan makes his case for EUIII being much more historical than EUII.

Johan's first post is #5.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405920

garbon

So, wasn't this already a known? He has often said negative things about eu2 when others make negative comments about eu3.

Of course this line cracked me up as P'dox has always failed shamefully on this and if it really is at the core of their game design, then they suck.

QuoteGrats, you understand our vision and how I view gameplay. "modelling the root causes of things" is the keyword here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

What shocks me is the line "I just get so tired of the usual "eu2 was so great". Its a very overrated game that, a) did not sell well".

I thought EU2 was the game that put Paradox on the map.  While I bet that HOI and HOI2 sold more copies, I'm surprised if anything else sold more than EU2 (until EU3 came along).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

I think I remember him saying EU2 sold fewer than EU1. 

garbon

Which belies the sales better = better argument.  Eu1 was certainly not better, although IGC Eu1 was fun.

Also, I always wondered if it was an issue with distributors. I'd seen lots of EU1 at places like EB games but almost never saw EU2 getting any shelf space.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Seen

I had to buy my copy from a specialized little game shop in Amsterdam.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

I hope Johan got banned for that.

Caliga

What do you expect Johan to say?  :lol:

"EU2 is a better game than EU3.  Oh btw EU2 is hella cheap right now.  Buy that instead of EU3 which costs more!"

He's not *just* a programmer at P'dox. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on May 29, 2009, 07:20:36 AM
EU3 IS better you know.

I actually agree, but I mean even if it wasn't Johan isn't going to say that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

That's true.

It's like rock singers will always say their newest album is the best, even if they know it's a piece of shit.

You will never, ever, hear a rock singer say, "Our new album is OK. It's not half as good as anything we've done before. It could be better."

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 29, 2009, 06:55:05 AM
What do you expect Johan to say?  :lol:

"EU2 is a better game than EU3.  Oh btw EU2 is hella cheap right now.  Buy that instead of EU3 which costs more!"

He's not *just* a programmer at P'dox. ^_^

Of course, if eu2 sales were so bad and eu3 sales have been good/great, who cares? No particular need to decry one's earlier work.

Valmy

If EU2 sales were so horrid why the hell did he make an EU3?

I thought the whole point of sequels was to take advantage of the success of the previous versions not to reinforce failures the owner of the company hates.

But then this is Paradox.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 10:02:52 AM
If EU2 sales were so horrid why the hell did he make an EU3?

I thought the whole point of sequels was to take advantage of the success of the previous versions not to reinforce failures the owner of the company hates.

But then this is Paradox.

:D

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!