News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pope on gays : "Who am I to judge?"

Started by garbon, July 29, 2013, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Where does this idea that atheists, new or otherwise, have some agenda to "ban" religious expression or activity?

I've heard that claim made many times, and yet I've never once heard any prominent atheist make any such suggestion. Am I missing something?

I've certainly heard many atheists state that religion overall is a great negative (I would be one of them), and we would be better off without it, but that is hardly the same thing as suggesting that it actually be restricted in some legal sense. I think even the most ardent atheist, "New" or otherwise would recognize that restricting anyone's freedom of religion would be vastly more damaging than the problem itself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2013, 11:23:32 AM
Where does this idea that atheists, new or otherwise, have some agenda to "ban" religious expression or activity?

I've heard that claim made many times, and yet I've never once heard any prominent atheist make any such suggestion. Am I missing something?

I've certainly heard many atheists state that religion overall is a great negative (I would be one of them), and we would be better off without it, but that is hardly the same thing as suggesting that it actually be restricted in some legal sense. I think even the most ardent atheist, "New" or otherwise would recognize that restricting anyone's freedom of religion would be vastly more damaging than the problem itself.

As just one example Dawkins has taken the position that teaching children religious belief is a form of child abuse and that the practice should be banned or at least heavily regulated. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2013, 11:25:01 AM
http://ffrf.org/

They clearly have an agenda to ban religious expression . . . by the state.
But not by individuals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2013, 11:28:25 AM

But not by individuals.

That may have been their original intent, but you know-- mission creep & all.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2013, 11:28:05 AM

As just one example Dawkins has taken the position that teaching children religious belief is a form of child abuse and that the practice should be banned or at least heavily regulated. 

I've heard the claim that teaching religions to children is bad/immoral (and again, I would even agree with the argument), but I don't recall any suggestions for banning or regulating it in any fashion. Can you provide a source?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Can you be more specific?

I don't think the people who represent Freedom from Religion would agree that they are trying to ban or outlaw religion.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2013, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2013, 11:28:25 AM

But not by individuals.

Was there something on that site that suggested the organization wanted to limited private speech?

grumbler

Just as another, so has Samuel Clemens.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2013, 11:42:40 AM

Their mission is promote the constitutional principle of Church and State.  Any attempt to promote legisliation that impinged upon private religious expression would not be mission creep, it would be directly antithetical to the mission.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

As just one example Dawkins has taken the position that teaching children religious belief   . . . should be banned or at least heavily regulated.

Where or when did he say that?
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2013, 12:07:36 PM
As just one example Dawkins has taken the position that teaching children religious belief   . . . should be banned or at least heavily regulated.

Where or when did he say that?

QuoteProfessor Richard Dawkins has claimed that forcing a religion on children without questioning its merits is as bad as 'child abuse'. In typically incendiary style, the leading atheist said he was against the 'indoctrination of religion' and teaching it as fact. . . . Professor Dawkins said at the festival that children should be taught religion but scorn should be poured on its claims. 'What a child should be taught is that religion exists; that some people believe this and some people believe that,' the Daily Telegraph reported he had said. 'What a child should never be taught is that you are a Catholic or Muslim child, therefore that is what you believe. That's child abuse

So you can teach them about religions but you shouldn't teach them to hold any specific beliefs stemming from one?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2013, 11:42:58 AM
I've heard the claim that teaching religions to children is bad/immoral (and again, I would even agree with the argument), but I don't recall any suggestions for banning or regulating it in any fashion. Can you provide a source?

'What a child should never be taught is that you are a Catholic or Muslim child, therefore that is what you believe. That's child abuse.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312813/Richard-Dawkins-Forcing-religion-children-child-abuse-claims-atheist-professor.html

I also saw some links that in 2006 Dawkins had signed a Petition in the UK calling for making it illegal to teach children under the age of 16 about religion.  I didnt link those stories because I saw other links which suggested that he removed his name from the petition at some point.

Another link I found that I think you will find very interesting is an article by another Atheist that addresses the views of what he calls the "new atheists" that has been largely taken up by Viking and Tamas in this thread.  The author's refutation of their position largely mirrors what has been said in this thread.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8839081/call-off-the-faith-wars/

Berkut

I can see how calling it "child abuse" could be seen as a effort to ban or regulate it, but you have to stretch to do so.

I think if you asked Dawkins straight out "Do you think laws should be passed banning the teaching of religiion to children", I rather doubt he would agree that it was a good idea in anything but a theoretical sense.

0 rows returned