McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 03:56:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2013, 03:52:11 PM
:hmm: That looks a lot like the graph of productivity and median wages, with a similar sudden divergence.  I wonder if those two effects are connected, and whether there is a causal link between them.

The bottom lines decrease isn't really that similar to the top line's increase.
:huh:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2013, 04:03:14 PM
:hmm: That looks a lot like the graph of productivity and median wages, with a similar sudden divergence.  I wonder if those two effects are connected, and whether there is a causal link between them.

I'd say the top line diverges rather than that they have a similar divergence. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 04:30:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2013, 04:03:14 PM

I'd say the top line diverges rather than that they have a similar divergence. :)
I'm not comparing these two lines on Meri's graph, I'm comparing the graph Meri posted with the infamous graph of real median income, which likewise goes limp in the 1970ies while productivity line keeps going up.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 03:57:55 PM
It's almost as if some sort of new radical economic ideology took hold in the 1970's.

You blaming the Nixon Shock?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 24, 2013, 04:36:25 PM
It's almost as if some sort of new radical economic ideology took hold in the 1970's.

Austrians and the Chicago boys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 05:05:40 PM

That would be off by at least half a dozen years.  Earnest deregulation didn't start happening until Ford/Carter years.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2013, 05:32:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 05:05:40 PM

That would be off by at least half a dozen years.  Earnest deregulation didn't start happening until Ford/Carter years.

The early part of that dip is due to declining economy from the war, the oil embargo, price controls  and other things.  You see other dips like that in the chart.  Normally wages would jump back up, but in the mid to late 1970's they didn't.  That's when we see the Austrians sinking their knives in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2013, 06:54:29 PM
:thumbsup:

What does the figure of speech signify?

The negative effect of their influence in economic circles and the body politic.  The knife statement was a bit pointed, I agree.  I was still happy with the knife analogy I made yesterday about the fiscal conservatives.  So I'm a bit knife crazy right now.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Admiral Yi