McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2013, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2013, 01:56:22 PM
The register I see when I go into a fast food place is quite a simple machine, with just pictures on it for the food choices, and an automatic change dispenser.  It is possible that such a thing wasn't possible back when you were in college, but then cashiers haven't always been minimum-wage workers, either.

None of which addresses the bolded part.

You've seen them. I've worked with them (within the last few years as a bookstore clerk). They are not simple tools. They require a modicum of ability to be able to use them. They are not as simple as the calculator/registers of the 1960s and 1970s. There is an increased level of skill required to do the cashier's job.

That was the entire point. Garbon claimed that minimum wage jobs today are easier, mentally, than they were before. I disagree. I've explained why I disagree.

None of which addresses the bolded part.  They are so simple that customers can use them, with no training at all.  I've used them as a custom,er, and found no problems at all.  While you may find them challenging, that is a statement about you, and not the equipment.

I worked retail many times over the years, and POS equipment nowadays is a lot easier to use than it was in the 1970s.  Now you can just scan bar codes and the equipment does the rest.  Hit the total button, enter the amount given, and the machine pops out the coin change down a chute, while it tells you how much paper money to return in change.

It is a lot easier.  Where you find complicated transactions that require training, you don't see minimum-wage workers operating the register, because the employer is willing to pay a premium to avoid having to train your replacement.  The actual minimum-wage jobs probably are easier now than in the past, in retail.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2013, 07:19:06 PM
None of which addresses the bolded part.  They are so simple that customers can use them, with no training at all.  I've used them as a custom,er, and found no problems at all.  While you may find them challenging, that is a statement about you, and not the equipment.

I worked retail many times over the years, and POS equipment nowadays is a lot easier to use than it was in the 1970s.  Now you can just scan bar codes and the equipment does the rest.  Hit the total button, enter the amount given, and the machine pops out the coin change down a chute, while it tells you how much paper money to return in change.

It is a lot easier.  Where you find complicated transactions that require training, you don't see minimum-wage workers operating the register, because the employer is willing to pay a premium to avoid having to train your replacement.  The actual minimum-wage jobs probably are easier now than in the past, in retail.

Okay, grumbler.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2013, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 02:06:45 PM
Though I'll point out to Meri et al that POS systems are in fact extremely simple applications.

Then why do the workers always screw something up and need to call a manager?

Because the worker imputs the data into the machine.  GIGO still holds true.  Though often the real problem is the customer.  'Cause when the customer tells the cashier that they want a Whopper with no pickles, the cashier is supposed to magically know that the customer actually meant extra pickle, no onions.

If you think working in fast food is easy, you've either never done it, or you're one of the rare people who have a knack for it.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on October 24, 2013, 08:50:33 PM
If you think working in fast food is easy, you've either never done it, or you're one of the rare people who have a knack for it.
Very rare indeed.  Every time I ask for extra pickles, they give me none instead.  :mad:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2013, 08:56:58 PM
Very rare indeed.  Every time I ask for extra pickles, they give me none instead.  :mad:

Pickles are for closers
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Clearly, you, like me, are a moron, dps, since everyone knows that it's simple and easy to work minimum wage jobs now that computers are there to help. :(

CountDeMoney

The registers have icons on them, and make the change for you.  I mean, duh.

garbon

'Cause when the customer tells the cashier that they want a Whopper with no pickles, the cashier is supposed to magically know that the customer actually meant extra pickle, no onions.

Doesn't negate where this started with my point that if anything things have gotten easier. I doubt it is that customers have gotten stupider/more demanding and have made the job more difficult.  Customers being crappy seems pretty constant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2013, 09:42:16 PM

Clearly, you, like me, are a moron, dps, since everyone knows that it's simple and easy to work minimum wage jobs now that computers are there to help. :(

So you want to play CC now? I never said the jobs were now simple and easy, I said that computers have made many jobs easier.

Besides, I would say that if they are the only jobs that an individual can get and can never ever advance at said job or get another job (but is not an actual slave and by rules not allowed to seek other employment) then yes they might be easy positions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Is someone seriously claiming that ringing up fast food is hard?  :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 10:24:39 PM
So you want to play CC now? I never said the jobs were now simple and easy, I said that computers have made many jobs easier.

Besides, I would say that if they are the only jobs that an individual can get and can never ever advance at said job or get another job (but is not an actual slave and by rules not allowed to seek other employment) then yes they might be easy positions.

That was aimed at grumbler, not you.

garbon