Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2013, 01:34:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 30, 2013, 01:31:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 01:28:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 30, 2013, 01:23:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2013, 01:21:35 PM
I suspect the amount will be as little as they can get away with...?

Congratulations, I think that might sum up their approach ie they've got agreed contract income coming in regularly, so they just have to cut down all costs to make more money. 

So guess what the salary was ?

Probably more than I think, which will just underline the hilarious differences between America and Europe yet again.  So I'm guessing the equivalent of $60k.

Try Minimum Wage, which is $19,700. :blink:

Two possibilities then:

1. The job is not nearly as difficult as you say, or
2. They are never going to find anyone competent, and will have to raise the salary. A lot.

Assuming this is in the US, of course.

3. They'll staff it using temp labor or automate it.

Keep on Boomin'.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:32:55 PM
The issue is not work (since we are already talking about people who are working) or feeling sorry, but that people can survive on their wages.  If people go hungry they do bad things like unionize.  McDonalds doesn't feel like paying that much, so expects the public to pick up the rest.  Management who who expect the public do pick up the tab with tips are doing the same thing.

McDonalds pays the market rate, which is heavily influenced by part time teenagers who typcially don't pay rent, food, or utilities.

Would you be happier if McDonald's refused to hire anyone over 21, or anyone with dependent children?

The Brain

If you work full time as a baby sitter, will you be able to raise 3 kids and own two cars?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

But yes, that is surprising.

You do mean USD right?  Because if that's actually pounds then it goes to hilarious differences, etc.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Congratulations, I think that might sum up their approach ie they've got agreed contract income coming in regularly, so they just have to cut down all costs to make more money. 

Probably more than I think, which will just underline the hilarious differences between America and Europe yet again.  So I'm guessing the equivalent of $60k.

Two possibilities then:

2. They are never going to find anyone competent, and will have to raise the salary. A lot.

Remember this is a pay scale people on here are talking about with regard to people flipping burgers.

It's largely (b), I think they've had a couple of other people recently churn through one of those roles.
I'm not sure how long it'll take them to realise that, maybe they're happy conducting interviews every 3-4 months.  Having the purchasing manager take 3 days out each time to interview everyone ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 01:42:01 PM

But yes, that is surprising.

You do mean USD right?  Because if that's actually pounds then it goes to hilarious differences, etc.

I already converted it to USD at 1.61.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 01:39:56 PM

Two possibilities then:

3. They'll staff it using temp labor or automate it.

Keep on Boomin'.

If so, then so be it.

Although it doesn't strike me as the kind of job that can really be automated, or rather, likely is already automated as much as is possible. The "job" here, from what was described, is dealing with the situations that the automation doesn't cover.

But why do you say that like it is some kind of revelation? Your option 3 is not another option, it is just option 1 or option 2 restated.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Obviously, wage stagnation or depression is nothing to concern myself about.
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:32:55 PM
The issue is not work (since we are already talking about people who are working) or feeling sorry, but that people can survive on their wages.  If people go hungry they do bad things like unionize.  McDonalds doesn't feel like paying that much, so expects the public to pick up the rest.  Management who who expect the public do pick up the tab with tips are doing the same thing.

McDonalds pays the market rate, which is heavily influenced by part time teenagers who typcially don't pay rent, food, or utilities.

Would you be happier if McDonald's refused to hire anyone over 21, or anyone with dependent children?

They pay market rate? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 02:10:58 PM
How do you know this?

No answer i give you is going to satisfy you, so if you've got a point, why don't you just go ahead and get to it.