McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2013, 02:39:33 PM
Has it been mentioned yet that the average age of a fast food employee is now almost 30?

QuoteIf you had to guess, what would you say is the average age of a fast food employee in the United States?

18? 20? Older? Younger?

The answer? 29.5.

That's right - the average age of a fast food employee in the United States is 29 1/2 years.

This is up dramatically from 2000, when the average fast food worker in the US was 22 years old. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau)

The fast food industry has been in the spotlight over the past week thanks to a recent hiring blitz by McDonald's. The fast food giant had a "National Hiring Day" earlier this week in which they were looking to fill 50,000 job openings.

There was a crush of applicants nationwide. People arrived early and stayed late just to interview for a position. Many locations through the country had hundreds of people lined up to apply for a position.

People from all different walks of life applied for positions at McDonald's. People with families. Older folks. Teenagers. The mass of people that applied for a "McJob" just illustrated how poor the US job market is right now.

--

Many people think that fast food jobs are primarily occupied by teenagers, but that's no longer the case.

Over the past decade, the average age of a fast food worker in the United States has surged higher, mainly because many older workers are not able to find work elsewhere. Fast food positions don't pay well, but many people just aren't able to find work anywhere else.

Source: Yahoo.com - McDonald's hiring day draws crowds, high hopes

Therein lies the problem.

No-one would care if jobs like this were, in fact, the province of pimply high school students making a bit of pocket change. To a degree, they used to be.

The problem is that now, they are often the only jobs adults who actually have to support themselves can get. And, apparently, even the chains know this - hence the goodwill gesture of attempting a sample budget for them in the OP.

The issue, I suppose, is to what extent the corporations could - or should - deal with that fact. They would no doubt argue that it is not a situation of their making and if they raise wages they have to cut jobs.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 02:46:33 PM
The issue, I suppose, is to what extent the corporations could - or should - deal with that fact. They would no doubt argue that it is not a situation of their making and if they raise wages they have to cut jobs.

Well they are right.  Anybody getting angry at McDonalds is just being absurd.  Besides they are hardly the only fast food franchise, they are not even the biggest one anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 02:50:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 02:46:33 PM

Well they are right.  Anybody getting angry at McDonalds is just being absurd.  Besides they are hardly the only fast food franchise, they are not even the biggest one anymore.

McDonald's is getting flack because that pseudo-budget hit the airwaves. The strikes and demand for higher wages, however, have been from a number of fast food restaurants across the board, not just McD's.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2013, 02:52:53 PM
McDonald's is getting flack because that pseudo-budget hit the airwaves.

Yeah that is just embarrassing.  But, to be fair, when I was doing the crap-job thing I knew some careerists in the field and they generally worked at least 60 hours a week.  It was just a way of  life.  Of course the frustrating part is for these people is it is getting harder to even get crap jobs at McDonalds anymore, or at least as your article suggested.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Many professionals work 60 hour weeks so it's not like it's a problem from a human perspective if McWorkers do so.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 02:43:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2013, 02:37:19 PM
Who said anything about wage stagnation being nothing to worry about? That is a whopper of a strawman.

You seem very certain that the market functions, or rather that the market cannot be interfered with without making things worse.

That's very close to being "unworried," but I am willing to accept that you don't feel great about it.

Huh?

What does it mean to say that the market functions? Of course it functions. It is doing things, it is functioning.

And where did I ever say that market cannot be interfered with? The market is interfered with all the time, constantly.

Adding more strawmen onto the existing burning strawman doesn't really help anything.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 02:57:52 PM
Many professionals work 60 hour weeks so it's not like it's a problem from a human perspective if McWorkers do so.

I was merely stating that it was probably always true if you wanted to make a career working at McDonalds or other low level service work you were probably going to be working two jobs. 

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 03:03:00 PM

I was merely stating that it was probably always true if you wanted to make a career working at McDonalds or other low level service work you were probably going to be working two jobs.

I wasn't disagreeing with you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 03:03:00 PM

And it would probably have to be two jobs, too, because most of those hourly crew members aren't scheduled more than 30 hours per week, to avoid having to give them benefits.

Siege

Oh please. Fast food jobs are temporary jobs for students.

If the economy is all fucked up and people cannot get better jobs, blame it on the Obama Administration that failed to recover the economy, not the fast food industry who had always operated at the lowest pay rate.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

Quote from: Siege on October 30, 2013, 03:06:48 PM

If the economy is all fucked up and people cannot get better jobs, blame it on the Obama Administration that failed to recover the economy, not the fast food industry who had always operated at the lowest pay rate.

That used to be true. Traditionally, fast-food jobs were for students.

Of course, by the same token, if you go back far enough, traditionally army jobs were for otherwise unemployable reprobates - or, as the Duke of Wellington so eloquently put it, "scum of the earth".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 03:10:22 PM
Quote from: Siege on October 30, 2013, 03:06:48 PM

That used to be true. Traditionally, fast-food jobs were for students.

Of course, by the same token, if you go back far enough, traditionally army jobs were for otherwise unemployable reprobates - or, as the Duke of Wellington so eloquently put it, "scum of the earth".  ;)

:yes:

My dad was given a choice when he was 19: jail or the Army. He chose the Army. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2013, 02:59:41 PM
Huh?

What does it mean to say that the market functions? Of course it functions. It is doing things, it is functioning.

And where did I ever say that market cannot be interfered with? The market is interfered with all the time, constantly.

Adding more strawmen onto the existing burning strawman doesn't really help anything.

So what we can take from this is that Berkut hates poor people. Ok.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2013, 02:59:41 PM
Huh?

So what we can take from this is that Berkut hates poor people. Ok.  :(

Don't you?
I hate poor people.

I mean, if a dude has a disability and cannot work I'm fine with it.
I am not oppoussed to having an small safety net for disability reasons.
But I KNOW disabilited people who work hard at their small business and make a living.

Now lazy faggots living on welfare?
Fuck them.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"