If you could produce a big budget HBO series, what would it be about?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 12, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2013, 01:23:46 PM
Gustavus Adolphus/Thirty Years War would be nice, and a lot of nationalities would get screen time which could be good for ratings. Violence, wenching, unlikely costumes and facial hair...
It's like Game of Thrones in the real world, just without any likable characters and much more grim misery.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2013, 01:40:22 PM
It's like Game of Thrones in the real world, just without any likable characters and much more grim misery.

You don't find Cardinal Richelieu likable?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Viking on July 12, 2013, 01:38:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2013, 01:25:08 PM
As awesome as Jutland would be, I'm not sure that it's simple enough for TV, and there might not be enough female characters.

Lots of female characters.. with seamen inside them...

NBO's Jutland starring Clive Owen as Admiral Jellicoe and Karen Gillan as HMS Princess Royal :contract:
It would certainly be shocking when the actress portraying the Queen Mary was blown in half and sunk.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2013, 01:08:40 PM
The Peloponisan War.

That would also be great but if that bumps my Master and Commander series I will be upset with you.

The Brain

Gustavus Adolphus/Thirty Years War would be nice, and a lot of nationalities would get screen time which could be good for ratings. Violence, wenching, unlikely costumes and facial hair...

Are you kidding, there's tons of likable characters. The foul-mouthed camp whore with a heart of gold, the roguish cavalry officer with a heart of gold, the Jewish moneylender with a... the Jewish moneylender. Etc etc etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2013, 02:48:28 PM

Are you kidding, there's tons of likable characters. The foul-mouthed camp whore with a heart of gold, the roguish cavalry officer with a heart of gold, the Jewish moneylender with a... the Jewish moneylender. Etc etc etc.

Hey, Jewish moneylenders have hearts of gold!  :mad:

They keep them in their strongboxes.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Maybe the Honor Harrington series.  Easily digestible as TV would dispose of Weber's tech-fluff.

Troll suggestion?

Turtledove's Worldwar series.

Real, awesome suggestion?

Give Schwarzenegger/John Milius a steady job in a series based off the King Conan comics. 

They'd never do it though.  Well, Milius would.

frunk

A good science fiction/cyberpunk series would be excellent.  The Sprawl trilogy is my first choice, a season a book.  Alternatively take the Shadowrun universe and create an ongoing series.

Alexandru H.

Byzantium 959-969, with Nikephor Phocas as the point of interest.

Battles, sieges, naval warfare, intrigue, religion, revolts, love, treason, crime.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr