If you could produce a big budget HBO series, what would it be about?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 12, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I know they once considered doing The Talisman, the Stephen King/Straub collaboration. Would love to see that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

merithyn

This, this, a thousand times, this!

The Skystone Series is such an awesome series. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2013, 10:51:58 AM
HBO gives you a Rome/Band of Brothers sized budget and your choice of book or what have you to make a TV series from, what do you chose?
Hmm, Band of Brothers "Stalingrad Edition" maybe.

Sheilbh

Maybe Gormenghast.

Or an American Heimat.

Agree on the French revolution, maybe a version of Mantel's Place of Greater Safety.
Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

Stalingrad would be good. Maybe a Midway series set in real time. A WWI 'Band of Brothers' series would also be cool.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Alcibiades

Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2013, 10:57:09 AM
My show would be call "The Surge", and in 10 one-hour episodes would cover the surge in Iraq from March 2007 to March 2008.

Too bad the surge lasted until July 2008 and the heaviest fighting of it took place in March-June of 2008, dipshit.

Yeah, I know, you missed it.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Eddie Teach

It's ok, you can't kill them all. Well, barring the technology to smash a huge meteorite into the earth that is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The Brain

I'd say the life of Charles XII, but not enough sexy time for HBO. Gustavus Adolphus/Thirty Years War would be nice, and a lot of nationalities would get screen time which could be good for ratings. Violence, wenching, unlikely costumes and facial hair...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Batgirl: Year One - or at least loosely based on it. 5 year arc ending with "The Killing Joke" and/or Babs running for congress. Smallville rules would be you never actually see or meet Batman himself to keep him mysterious and she never finds out his identity (or at least she finds out very late). Themes to explore the two "fathers" Order (Gordon) vs Chaos (Batman), what gotham needs frightening criminals (batman) vs. inspiring regular people (superman), how to deal with great power batman vs bruce wayne.

Keep her enemies on the retail crime level, she is a slight of build young female after all and have her lose fights. Ideally leave the issues unresolved for each episode - the junkie has a relapse, the abused wife returns to the husband, the bad cop is emboldened and the good cop loses heart. The core theme would be that only the city itself can save itself and it needs to be inspired to do so. The police and batman can only deal with symptoms. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

As awesome as Jutland would be, I'm not sure that it's simple enough for TV, and there might not be enough female characters.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2013, 01:00:45 PM
Maybe Gormenghast.

Or an American Heimat.

Agree on the French revolution, maybe a version of Mantel's Place of Greater Safety.

Gormenghast was actually done.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2013, 01:25:08 PM
As awesome as Jutland would be, I'm not sure that it's simple enough for TV, and there might not be enough female characters.

Lots of female characters.. with seamen inside them...

NBO's Jutland starring Clive Owen as Admiral Jellicoe and Karen Gillan as HMS Princess Royal :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.