Boehner et. al. on Immigration Reform: "R. I. P."

Started by Jacob, July 10, 2013, 10:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 04:16:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 04:04:43 PM
Derspeiss you are a member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy in good standing, when Republicans say we need more border security how much are we talking about?

Finishing the fence (which by law was supposed to be done last decade) and adding significantly more border security agents is a nice start.  We also need to formulate some metrics to measure progress, as Senator McCain has requested but for some reason our exceedingly feminine DHS secretary refuses to do.

Didn't the they put the national guard on the border?  Since "more security" is so open ended it seems like it's the phrase to repeat when you don't actually want to do anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 12:07:39 PM
I'm also amused by the Orwellian spin of calling it immigration "reform."  Who can possibly be against reform?  Reform is always a good thing.

You mean like "welfare reform"?
Or is that the good kind?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 12:07:39 PM
I'm also amused by the Orwellian spin of calling it immigration "reform."  Who can possibly be against reform?  Reform is always a good thing.

You mean like "welfare reform"?
Or is that the good kind?

Tort reform.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 06:13:21 PM
Just like welfare reform.

But I assume you supported welfare reform.
So the use of a word that means "to change the form of" in order to denote a change in policy is not such a terrible thing as to cast aspersions on the underlying merits of the policy, correct?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 04:46:50 PM
Are the illegals even really a concern? 

Not to you, Languish, and others, no.  But it is for a lot of other folks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 07:21:04 PM
So the use of a word that means "to change the form of" in order to denote a change in policy is not such a terrible thing as to cast aspersions on the underlying merits of the policy, correct?

Allow me to clarify dear colleague. 

I have no objections to political supporters of this particular bill trying to cast it in as positive a light as possible. Referring to an amnesty bill as "immigration reform" is well within the pale of allowable spin.

My objection, rather, is to the use of the term by the ostensibly objective press.  When they refer to this particular bill as "immigration reform" they adopt the role of advocate.  Or dupe.

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on July 11, 2013, 04:41:00 PM
I'm more wary of those Northerners.

The irony of DerSpicy calling for tough immigration laws was apparently lost

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 04:16:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 04:04:43 PM
Derspeiss you are a member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy in good standing, when Republicans say we need more border security how much are we talking about?

Finishing the fence (which by law was supposed to be done last decade) and adding significantly more border security agents is a nice start.  We also need to formulate some metrics to measure progress, as Senator McCain has requested but for some reason our exceedingly feminine DHS secretary refuses to do.

Are illegal border crossings really the source of much of the illegal alien problem these days?

I thought it was more people who legally entered the country, but then over-stayed their visa...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 07:31:23 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 07:21:04 PM

Allow me to clarify dear colleague. 

I have no objections to political supporters of this particular bill trying to cast it in as positive a light as possible. Referring to an amnesty bill as "immigration reform" is well within the pale of allowable spin.

My objection, rather, is to the use of the term by the ostensibly objective press.  When they refer to this particular bill as "immigration reform" they adopt the role of advocate.  Or dupe.

Isn't fighting over labels politics 101?  It's why the sides in the abortion debate are labelled pro-life and pro-choice, because nobody wants to be anti-anything...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 07:31:23 PM
Referring to an amnesty bill as "immigration reform" is well within the pale of allowable spin.

I agree it is within the pale.  Particularly if the only alternative is "amnesty bill"

QuoteMy objection, rather, is to the use of the term by the ostensibly objective press. 

Don't know who this directed at
But . . .
I take it from the tone of your complaints you don't like the bill.
Yet so far your objection has been to the adjective used to describe it and the not-so-shocking claim that some of the politicians voting for the bill might have political motivations.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 07:38:49 PM
Don't know who this directed at

The media.

QuoteBut . . .
I take it from the tone of your complaints you don't like the bill.
Yet so far your objection has been to the adjective used to describe it and the not-so-shocking claim that some of the politicians voting for the bill might have political motivations.

The fact that "some of the politicians voting for the bill might have political motivations" is a dishonest characterization of my stated position.  I said so far the primary argument advanced so far has been winning the Latino vote.

I thought the path to citizenship in the I Have a Dream Act was too soft.  Doing a stint in the military is legit, but 2 years of college??  How is that a sacrifice?

I've heard nothing about the guest worker program (which in my mind should be the very heart of the bill) since it got tossed over to the AFL-CIO and Chamber of Commerce to work out.

I think without a truly tight border amnesty is just another way of incentivizing illegal immigration.  This is our third now, isn't it?  Wanna bet how long before the next one?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
The fact that "some of the politicians voting for the bill might have political motivations" is a dishonest characterization of my stated position.  I said so far the primary argument advanced so far has been winning the Latino vote.

My characterization may not be accurate but it is much more justiable that the claim that the primary argument advanced for the bill is winning the Latino vote.
To take one example - I just looked at Marco Rubio's website.  He has all sorts of arguments for the bill: improving border security and interior enforcement, generating jobs, boosting entrepeneurship, dealing with undocumented workers humanely.
Winning Latino votes is not mentioned.
It's odd to refer to something as "the primary argument" when it isn't being argued.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2013, 07:58:00 PM
My characterization may not be accurate but it is much more justiable that the claim that the primary argument advanced for the bill is winning the Latino vote.
To take one example - I just looked at Marco Rubio's website.  He has all sorts of arguments for the bill: improving border security and interior enforcement, generating jobs, boosting entrepeneurship, dealing with undocumented workers humanely.
Winning Latino votes is not mentioned.
It's odd to refer to something as "the primary argument" when it isn't being argued.

Of course it's being argued.  It's impossible to get through an article or TV news story about immigration without mention of connection to Latino votes.

Whereas you're probably the fifth person to look at Marco Rubio's web site.