Boehner et. al. on Immigration Reform: "R. I. P."

Started by Jacob, July 10, 2013, 10:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2013, 02:19:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:17:54 PM
They've been running ads on talk radio stations here non-stop for the past month or so with Rubio and (to a lesser extent) Paul Ryan, trying to sell the Senate immigration bill as a conservative measure.  Sometimes they'll even repeat the ad back to back during the same commercial break.  It does actually make a couple good points, but overall the "amnesty now, border security later maybe if we feel like it" thing is kind of a tough sell.

How exactly are we to gauge "border security"?

Ineffective, the Germans used that criteria and millions of Americans, Soviets and British crossed their borders.
Dead beaners piled high in front of maching gun emplacements with interlocking fields of fire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Germans suck. Good god fearing American ingenuity wins over godless shitting Germans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 02:25:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
Where did they say "buy Latino votes"?

Too Razzish today.

So yeah, they didn't say that, did they? That's just how you interpret it.  Which is frankly an odd way to interpret it.  A rather long and arduous path to citizenship doesn't quite equal the purchase of votes for Latino citizens already here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 02:07:50 PM
Also, apart from Hil, what other political women have I been partial too? :unsure:

I thought I've seen some :wub: from you re: Margaret Thatcher, Eva Peron, and a few others in the vein?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:36:56 PM
So yeah, they didn't say that, did they? That's just how you interpret it.  Which is frankly an odd way to interpret it.  A rather long and arduous path to citizenship doesn't quite equal the purchase of votes for Latino citizens already here.

Oh, it wouldn't actually work.  But I agree with Yister than the motivation is pandering to the Hispanic vote.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 02:45:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:36:56 PM

Oh, it wouldn't actually work.  But I agree with Yister than the motivation is pandering to the Hispanic vote.

Do you consider laws that you like pandering to you?

Jacob

I think means "appealing to voters who like something I disapprove of" when he says "pandering".

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2013, 02:52:06 PM
I think means "appealing to voters who like something I disapprove of" when he says "pandering".

Well it would also be pandering to business owner who often hire these guys as cheap labor.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2013, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 02:07:50 PM
Also, apart from Hil, what other political women have I been partial too? :unsure:

I thought I've seen some :wub: from you re: Margaret Thatcher, Eva Peron, and a few others in the vein?

Oh, that's true though I definitely would not say that I support what Evita did in politics. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:54:45 PM

Well it would also be pandering to business owner who often hire these guys as cheap labor.

Absolutely.  They're lobbying & advertising pretty heavily for amnesty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 03:13:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:54:45 PM

Absolutely.  They're lobbying & advertising pretty heavily for amnesty.

Well I guess that explains why amnesty is so popular.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:50:14 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
Well Amnesty is cheap and easy. 

Easy?  Sure.  Cheap?  Not really, when you consider how much more social spending it will entail.

They're working for us. They should be receiving some benefits.

They are, we haven't thrown them out.

Why would we? They have been accepting minimum wage and lower to come work here, they have been doing jobs we don't like to do, and unscrupulous business owners can easily take advantage of them. What's to throw out?

My point was that they already get benefits.

You act like we're doing them a giant favor instead of the other way around :lol:
and the horse you rode in on