Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 03:42:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:50:14 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
Well Amnesty is cheap and easy. 

Easy?  Sure.  Cheap?  Not really, when you consider how much more social spending it will entail.

They're working for us. They should be receiving some benefits.

They are, we haven't thrown them out.

Why would we? They have been accepting minimum wage and lower to come work here, they have been doing jobs we don't like to do, and unscrupulous business owners can easily take advantage of them. What's to throw out?

My point was that they already get benefits.

You act like we're doing them a giant favor instead of the other way around :lol:

Letting them live in the US is a favor.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I think slave owners said something similar about their slaves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 03:49:31 PMLetting them live in the US is a favor.

Well you're not really letting them, are you?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 03:49:31 PM

Lacking the means to deport all of them is not a favor :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 03:52:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 03:49:31 PM

Lacking the means to deport all of them is not a favor :lol:

Maybe not "all", but we certainly can deport large numbers of them.  Whether or not that and that alone will solve the long-term problem is up for debate, of course.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Derspeiss you are a member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy in good standing, when Republicans say we need more border security how much are we talking about?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 04:04:43 PM
Derspeiss you are a member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy in good standing, when Republicans say we need more border security how much are we talking about?

Enough to secure the border Duh. :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 04:04:43 PM

Finishing the fence (which by law was supposed to be done last decade) and adding significantly more border security agents is a nice start.  We also need to formulate some metrics to measure progress, as Senator McCain has requested but for some reason our exceedingly feminine DHS secretary refuses to do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Honest and serious question, measure progress of what?

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on July 11, 2013, 04:17:42 PM

How many illegals are getting through, and how many are being stopped.  I know we have some numbers already, but I don't know how reliable they are & can't find them anyway.

katmai

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 04:20:47 PM

How many illegals are getting through, and how many are being stopped.  I know we have some numbers already, but I don't know how reliable they are & can't find them anyway.

They should just stop everyone south of the border from coming in just to be safe.

katmai

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 04:20:47 PM

Are the illegals even really a concern?  The Mexican birth rates, and for the rest of Latin America, are just plumeting.  In a short time this is not even going to be a big issue anymore.  Now the secure border thing, with all the drug gangs and so forth, are a much bigger issue.

Worring about illegal immigrants pouring over the borders is a bit like trying to fight the last war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."