Boehner et. al. on Immigration Reform: "R. I. P."

Started by Jacob, July 10, 2013, 10:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 12:22:28 PM
Well Amnesty is cheap and easy. 

Easy?  Sure.  Cheap?  Not really, when you consider how much more social spending it will entail.

They're working for us. They should be receiving some benefits.

They are, we haven't thrown them out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:43:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:41:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 12:36:45 PM
14 is a pretty good chunk :hmm:

Of course it means that the bulk of Republicans in the senate were against it...

"Bipartisan" doesn't mean "everyone votes for it". It means that even among the opposition party there is a decent chunk of support.

Except in this case the decent chunk is the 32 of 46 who came out against it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:43:25 PM

Easy?  Sure.  Cheap?  Not really, when you consider how much more social spending it will entail.

Why would we? They have been accepting minimum wage and lower to come work here, they have been doing jobs we don't like to do, and unscrupulous business owners can easily take advantage of them. What's to throw out?
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:44:10 PM

Of course it means that the bulk of Republicans in the senate were against it...

"Bipartisan" doesn't mean "everyone votes for it". It means that even among the opposition party there is a decent chunk of support.

Okay, garbon. From here henceforth, bipartisan shall only be used to describe legislation which 50% of each party votes for.

crazy canuck

Its been so long since there has been such a thing as bipartisan polictics in America that its hard to recognize it when it occurs. :(

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:43:25 PM

Why would we? They have been accepting minimum wage and lower to come work here, they have been doing jobs we don't like to do, and unscrupulous business owners can easily take advantage of them. What's to throw out?

My point was that they already get benefits.

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:44:10 PM

Okay, garbon. From here henceforth, bipartisan shall only be used to describe legislation which 50% of each party votes for.

Well you also have House Republicans coming out against it. Seems that "bipartisan" is just a buzzword if we apply the definition you are using.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
Well you also have House Republicans coming out against it.

I think they knew they were going to have a tougher time in the House anyway. It's a wonder some of those guys have all their teeth.

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 11, 2013, 12:56:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
Well you also have House Republicans coming out against it.

I think they knew they were going to have a tougher time in the House anyway. It's a wonder some of those guys have all their teeth.

Indeed.

Jacob

Hey garbon - normally you seem pretty partial to tough political women. Why not Pelosi, what's your issue with her? (that's her, right?)

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2013, 01:17:14 PM
Hey garbon - normally you seem pretty partial to tough political women. Why not Pelosi, what's your issue with her? (that's her, right?)

Yes that's Pelosi. Mainly because she doesn't really do much while walking around with a large ego. She's very divisive in the sense that she doesn't even make gestures like she gives a damn about Republicans (or really anyone in her party that doesn't agree with her). She's basically like "I'm super awesome and know how everything should be if people just let me" and I don't share her views.

garbon

Also, apart from Hil, what other political women have I been partial too? :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:17:54 PM
They've been running ads on talk radio stations here non-stop for the past month or so with Rubio and (to a lesser extent) Paul Ryan, trying to sell the Senate immigration bill as a conservative measure.  Sometimes they'll even repeat the ad back to back during the same commercial break.  It does actually make a couple good points, but overall the "amnesty now, border security later maybe if we feel like it" thing is kind of a tough sell.

How exactly are we to gauge "border security"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:17:54 PM
They've been running ads on talk radio stations here non-stop for the past month or so with Rubio and (to a lesser extent) Paul Ryan, trying to sell the Senate immigration bill as a conservative measure.  Sometimes they'll even repeat the ad back to back during the same commercial break.  It does actually make a couple good points, but overall the "amnesty now, border security later maybe if we feel like it" thing is kind of a tough sell.

How exactly are we to gauge "border security"?

Dead beaners piled high in front of maching gun emplacements with interlocking fields of fire.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 12:11:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2013, 12:09:51 PM
Take it up with Rubio, Yi.

He and Jeb Bush both think the GOP has to buy Latino votes.  That has nothing to do with the merits.

Where did they say "buy Latino votes"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017