News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Economic Recovery in America

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 10, 2013, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Phone/internet/tv aren't all that expensive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Nobody likes my New Dealish public art contest :weep:
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 11:16:40 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 10, 2013, 11:55:34 PM
Millions of poor families (assuming two parent household) would not be able to survive on one paycheck.

However, the millions of upper and even middle class families (with two working parents) can survive on one paycheck. But I doubt they would be able to stomach the resulting drop in luxuries and personal/professional "self-worth".

I'm sorry that a person feels a need to leave the house and do something beyond changing diapers and cleaning up baby puke in order to feel a bit of "self-worth". :(

See, it's this kind of ignorant attitude that causes the stigma against people who do not want to work full-time; that there is no "worth" in self, home, or community. There are plenty of projects and activities when "not working", such as music, art, reading, writing, local theatre, community events, volunteering, visiting friends/neighbors, church, managing assets/investments, homeschooling, mentoring, tutoring, meditation, gaming, gardening/farming, etc. :wacko:

If you want to "prove your ambition", you can easily turn home/community commitment later into a family business, local political office, or leadership in a non-profit organization.

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2013, 04:16:04 PM

Bullshit. :glare:

My combined cell phone/internet/cable bill tops $500.

That's what happens when you've got five smartphone lines on your cellphone bill.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 05:22:24 PM

That's what happens when you've got five smartphone lines on your cellphone bill.
So it's the luxury spending that's doing you in?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Tell me that's per year and not monthly ? :unsure:

And yes tv/internet is relatively cheap, it's energy costs whether heating or transport that really clobber poor households.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2013, 05:26:44 PM

So it's the luxury spending that's doing you in?

Exactly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 11:16:24 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 10, 2013, 11:55:34 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 10, 2013, 11:47:28 PM
Of course, another option is to incentivize one parent staying home (gender irrelevant). Right now, there's no way that millions of families will be able to survive on one paycheck without some assistance.

Make it worthwhile - and possible - for a family to live with only one paycheck, if this is the issue. Again, which gender is irrelevant.
Millions of poor families (assuming two parent household) would not be able to survive on one paycheck.

However, the millions of upper and even middle class families (with two working parents) can survive on one paycheck. But I doubt they would be able to stomach the resulting drop in luxuries and personal/professional "self-worth".

I grew up in a middle class family with only one parent working. We hardly were "wanting."

Is this the John McCain definition of Middle Class?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 09:05:55 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2013, 08:58:57 PM
I interviewed two guys back in the day who were political refugees from Cuba.

I wish. :(  These dudes were smarter and nerdier.  Interestingly one was named Vladimir and the other Yuri.  I guess I can see why Russian first names might have been popular in Cuba back in the day.  :sleep:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Russian names are popular throughout Latin America.  E.g. Vladimir Guerrero.

Eddie Teach

So get rid of the smartphones and maybe a few channels, save $400/mo.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 10:37:59 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2013, 08:39:49 PM
I like Mexicans and I want more of them here.  Here's why:

1. I like tacos
2. I like low cost roofing and gardening
3.  Mexican chicks can be quite HOTT
4.  Hybrid vigor (see 3)

I am not convinced. We need pictures.
:huh: Not sure if serious....

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Nowhere close to Sofia Vergara.  South America ftw.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I have a standing order for Jessica Alba. Thanks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive