News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Economic Recovery in America

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 10, 2013, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 08:12:36 PM
That's quite a graph. I think I felt my heart sink into my stomach.

I guess I can see how some nationless billionaire nomad with an entirely global perspective on the economy might look at that graph and go "yep, that's hunky dorey!" but I can't imagine how any American with even a teaspoon of nationalism left in him would think that was okay.
people want cheap stuff. American labour is expensive, overseas is cheap. the more jobs you move the more profit you make. That's what I see in the chart anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2013, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 08:08:51 PM
Please explain further. I'm not sure how a system that values total social utility would have disappeared its middle class.

It's a little tough to do without a chalkboard. 

Basically, with a downward sloping demand curve (you're familiar with supply and demand curves, right?) and an upward sloping supply curve, the area under the demand curve and above the price line is consumer/buyer surplus utility and the area below the price line and above the demand curve is producer/seller surplus.  If you let the market determine price, at the intersection of supply and demand, you maximize total surplus.  That surplus is free happiness (or money in the case of the supplier).

The consumer side is easier to intuit.  Let's use Beeb, our resident Apple junkie as an example.  He would gladly pay $2,000 for the newest iPhone, he's jonesing that hard.  The fact that Apple sells them for only $500 (no idea on the real price) means that Beeb got $2000 worth of Appleitious consumer satsifaction for only $500.  He got $1,500 of surplus utility.

Mandating a price other than the market price means some of that surplus area is lost.

I'm familiar with supply and demand curves, yes.

I think I understand the argument. I guess my question(s) is (are) a) what other factors could be distorting the market price that the consumer cannot control, and b) while Beeb may have a giant technoboner for Apple products, there are lots of products which he just wants/needs and wants/needs to get a good deal on. I guess my whole problem with looking at it from this standpoint is that such a moral system (because that's what it is, really) ignores the guy who says "fuck Apple products, I'll never be able to own one of those. All I care about is meeting my expenses and taking care of my family." He doesn't get much surplus happiness...and the further his wages decline, he ain't going to get happier.
and the horse you rode in on

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 08:30:31 PM

I guess I can see how some nationless billionaire nomad with an entirely global perspective on the economy might look at that graph and go "yep, that's hunky dorey!" but I can't imagine how any American with even a teaspoon of nationalism left in him would think that was okay.

The solution is obviously to open up the gates and import even more people from Mexico, like the Democrats and big business types want to do.
Mexican do the jobs no one else wants to do. I don't see an out of work suburbaners (ites?) lining up to pick produce
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

fhdz

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 10, 2013, 08:32:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2013, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 08:08:51 PM
Please explain further. I'm not sure how a system that values total social utility would have disappeared its middle class.

It's a little tough to do without a chalkboard. 

Basically, with a downward sloping demand curve (you're familiar with supply and demand curves, right?) and an upward sloping supply curve, the area under the demand curve and above the price line is consumer/buyer surplus utility and the area below the price line and above the demand curve is producer/seller surplus.  If you let the market determine price, at the intersection of supply and demand, you maximize total surplus.  That surplus is free happiness (or money in the case of the supplier).

The consumer side is easier to intuit.  Let's use Beeb, our resident Apple junkie as an example.  He would gladly pay $2,000 for the newest iPhone, he's jonesing that hard.  The fact that Apple sells them for only $500 (no idea on the real price) means that Beeb got $2000 worth of Appleitious consumer satsifaction for only $500.  He got $1,500 of surplus utility.

Mandating a price other than the market price means some of that surplus area is lost.

The question is what the labor demand curve looks like for low wage workers.

Yes, thank you, I think that's what I was getting at in my roundabout layman's way.

Caliga

I like Mexicans and I want more of them here.  Here's why:

1. I like tacos
2. I like low cost roofing and gardening
3.  Mexican chicks can be quite HOTT
4.  Hybrid vigor (see 3)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on July 10, 2013, 08:36:18 PM
Mexican do the jobs no one else wants to do. I don't see an out of work suburbaners (ites?) lining up to pick produce

They would if it paid well enough.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 08:40:43 PM

it'll never pay well enough. unless you want to pay 10 bucks for an apple.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2013, 08:39:49 PM

1. I like tacos
4.  Hybrid vigor (see 3)

I like Mexicans, but I'd rather not keep importing their underclass.  I'd like to get more educated, skilled Mexicans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 08:40:43 PM

There we go! So: conservatives should support a raise in the minimum wage because it keeps Mexican immigrants out. :D :P

CountDeMoney

That graph is what America wants.  That's the way it is, we like it that way and we're not going to change it.  End of story.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 08:42:14 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2013, 08:39:49 PM

1. I like tacos
4.  Hybrid vigor (see 3)

I like Mexicans, but I'd rather not keep importing their underclass.  I'd like to get more educated, skilled Mexicans.
at least their underclass are hard workers. I don't get the illegal immigrant hate. they work hard. I get the eurohate with the generations of welfare squatters, but illegal immigrants in the states get no benefits, right?

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

That graph is what America wants.  That's the way it is, we like it that way and we're not going to change it.  End of story.

If so, then we are an awful people, and we should well deserve the eventual collapse of our empire.

Razgovory

Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 08:45:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

If so, then we are an awful people, and we should well deserve the eventual collapse of our empire.

Just misinformed.  Well sure there are some people who want that, but most do not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Phillip V on July 10, 2013, 08:24:06 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 08:15:08 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 10, 2013, 08:10:30 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 07:14:34 PM
The fact of the matter is that while wages have been virtually stagnant for the bottom 90% of workers over the last 40 years, the wages of minimum wage earners have declined in absolute terms by about 1/3. Why? And what sort of economic system sees this as not just "unavoidable" but actually beneficial?

Women.

Do go on.

They entered the workforce in large numbers, which lowered the "need" to raise wages.

Hmm.