How long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get behind bars?

Started by merithyn, July 10, 2013, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he's found guilty *coughs*, how long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get?

American - Death penalty
American - Life w/o parole
American - Life with possibility of parole
American - > 30 years, but not life
American - < 30 years
ROTW - Death penalty
ROTW - Life w/o parole
ROTW - Life with possibility of parole
ROTW - > 30 years, but not life
ROTW - < 30 years
Other - Share with the class, please

merithyn

I'm curious to see where things fall here. And does the fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is only 19 factor into your decision at all?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Life, with possibility of parole.  His age definitely plays into my leaning towards a more lenient punishment than might be appropriate of someone in, say, their mid-20s or something.  I don't think it's reasonable to deprive him of his entire life if a successful effort at reforming him can be made.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on July 10, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 02:41:27 PM
Easiest poll ever.

You voted less than 30 years, right? :unsure:

He voted death penalty, because it's not him doing the injecting.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Were I the judge, I would assign him to hang by the neck until dead.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
I don't think it's reasonable to deprive him of his entire life if a successful effort at reforming him can be made.

That is where I usually fall on these kinds of questions.
But this guy had a mostly comfortable middle class life in New England, access to the best schools, and typical Amurricun friends.  If that didn't reform him, what in the prison system will?
I get the point re tenderness of youth, but this was far from an impulse control offense.  Very deep depravity was involved.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I'm not in favour of the death penalty, so I voted life without parole.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2013, 02:42:48 PM

Sure, I'd do it.  Why not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

How much do we know about the circumstances that led him to do the bombing? I.e. was he pressured into it by an overbearing and charismatic brother or was he the driving force behind it?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 10, 2013, 02:58:25 PM
How much do we know about the circumstances that led him to do the bombing? I.e. was he pressured into it by an overbearing and charismatic brother or was he the driving force behind it?

Who cares.  The real question is: REGULAR OR EXTRA CRISPY??

Savonarola

I haven't been following this closely; is the death penalty a possibility in this case? 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2013, 02:42:48 PM

Sure, I'd do it.  Why not.

I've going to vote death penalty, and I would even be willing to be the one who prosecutes him and seeks the death penalty.  BUt you can hardly be flippant about it
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.