How long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get behind bars?

Started by merithyn, July 10, 2013, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he's found guilty *coughs*, how long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get?

American - Death penalty
American - Life w/o parole
American - Life with possibility of parole
American - > 30 years, but not life
American - < 30 years
ROTW - Death penalty
ROTW - Life w/o parole
ROTW - Life with possibility of parole
ROTW - > 30 years, but not life
ROTW - < 30 years
Other - Share with the class, please

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 10:09:36 PM
My problem with Life w/o parole is that it could change 30 years from now.

Also, if western society collapse, he might become free and organize a militia in Montana called CUT - Church Universal and Triumphant and conquer Idaho and the Dakotas. His militiamen could will be the best heavy cavalry in the plains charging screaming "Cut, Cut, Cut!"

So could the Death penalty.  We outlawed the death penalty once and everyone on death row was put in for life w/o parole.  When the Death penalty was reinstated those people who previously had a death sentence and were now in for life were not put back on death row.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Nobody got the reference form the S.M. Stirling series, The Change.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

ROTW - life w.o. parole. Because he deliberately tried to murder random civilians for the purpose of harming society. Why not the death penalty? (which I am not against) 1. It is cheaper to keep him in prison for life than it is to execute him. 2. It is a worse punishment which specifically denies him shaheed-hood. 3. It avoids sympathy for murderous terrorist scum. 4. The issue ends there rather than dragging out on appeal. 5. There are worse crimes out there and the death penalty does need to be reserved for the worst of the worst rather than the merely evil; if you execute too often the death penalty loses it's shock value on society and our enemies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 10:46:19 PM
Nobody got the reference form the S.M. Stirling series, The Change.

That's because it was an extremely shitting book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Also, if western society collapse, he might become free and organize a militia in Montana called CUT - Church Universal and Triumphant and conquer Idaho and the Dakotas. His militiamen could will be the best heavy cavalry in the plains charging screaming "Cut, Cut, Cut!"

Unlikely the Montana militiamen will take their orders from a Turk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Kleves

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2013, 05:26:37 PM
Cost of holding multiple appeals.
Actually, I think it might be that the trial itself is so much more expensive if you're seeking death than if you're "just" trying to get life without parole. In this case, though, the trial is probably already going to cost a fortune, so there might not be any real cost-savings to seeking only life without parole.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

He'll be old by then, and cut off from medicine will not survive.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

It's guys like this that give Ted Kaczynski a bad name.

KRonn

Reading the local papers and news this little monster was in court yesterday and there were a number of supporters! Wearing t-shirts with his picture, women fawning over him, or what ever else. They're infatuated with him or something.
Then Some saying there's no evidence! If there was any more evidence the police would have to build another vault to contain it all! One woman quoted in the paper came from Washington State to support him. I guess she's enjoying her vacation or something.
Bunch of hosers supporting this monster. I can't understand that, at, all.

merithyn

Quote from: KRonn on July 11, 2013, 09:41:21 AM
Reading the local papers and news this little monster was in court yesterday and there were a number of supporters! Wearing t-shirts with his picture, women fawning over him, or what ever else. They're infatuated with him or something.
Then Some saying there's no evidence! If there was any more evidence the police would have to build another vault to contain it all! One woman quoted in the paper came from Washington State to support him. I guess she's enjoying her vacation or something.
Bunch of hosers supporting this monster. I can't understand that, at, all.

I'd guess that it's denial. It's hard to look at that sweet-looking child and think "monster". I'm having a hard time with it, and I know that he is one. I keep trying to come up with reasons why he would do it that aren't his fault, anything to explain away his decisions.

The facts are, however, that he actively participated in mass murder and terror. Yes, he's young, but not so young as to not understand what his choices were. He deserves to be punished for his crimes no matter how young or how sweet he looks.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive