How long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get behind bars?

Started by merithyn, July 10, 2013, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he's found guilty *coughs*, how long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get?

American - Death penalty
American - Life w/o parole
American - Life with possibility of parole
American - > 30 years, but not life
American - < 30 years
ROTW - Death penalty
ROTW - Life w/o parole
ROTW - Life with possibility of parole
ROTW - > 30 years, but not life
ROTW - < 30 years
Other - Share with the class, please

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on July 10, 2013, 05:27:55 PM
The death penalty would give his life meaning (based on my understanding of him.)  I voted for that, as I figured he may as well have a fulfilling life.
We don't need to do anything to fulfill his psychological needs.  We also don't need to turn him into a martyr.  Life without parole.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Based on the artist's sketches they showed on CNN there were some hotties in attendance at the arraignment.

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on July 10, 2013, 04:53:03 PM
I think that, after conviction but before sentencing, he should commit suicide by leaping out of the paddy wagon returning him to jail at highway speeds.  Preferably while on a high bridge.

This is my favorite answer so far.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

I personally don't care one way or the other how emotionally fulfilled such scumbags feel when they're sentenced to die.  I just want them dead.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2013, 05:56:10 PM
I personally don't care one way or the other how emotionally fulfilled such scumbags feel when they're sentenced to die.  I just want them dead.

Yep.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2013, 04:55:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 10, 2013, 04:53:03 PM
I think that, after conviction but before sentencing, he should commit suicide by leaping out of the paddy wagon returning him to jail at highway speeds.  Preferably while on a high bridge.
What's in it for him?
He'd make the movie that much cooler?
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2013, 05:56:10 PM

Yep.
:hmm: Now that I think about it, I want him to live until 120.

Caliga

I don't really care how much longer he lives, as long as a) he never leaves prison, and b) he is left with little to do but contemplate his evil actions in his cell of woe. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2013, 06:12:35 PM
I don't really care how much longer he lives, as long as a) he never leaves prison, and b) he is left with little to do but contemplate his evil actions in his cell of woe. :)
He'll correspond with like minded wackjobs and become convinced of the righteousness of his actions. I'd rather risk creating a martyr than that.
PDH!

mongers

If found guilty, whatever the sentencing judge thinks is correct.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

He's facing four murders, while he didn't pull the trigger on the dead police officer that doesn't matter when you're an accomplice and he's also legally responsible for all of the murders at the bombing even the ones not from the bomb he laid down because he was part of the criminal conspiracy. There is not really anyway I can see to anything less than life without the possibility of parole. I feel like there are a lot of people who are going to get life with no possibility of parole (or equivalent years sentence) who have never murdered anyone, and many who get such a sentence having only murdered one person. I don't see how equitably this guy could get anything less than life without parole.

Terrorism or bombing causing death I believe qualify as a Federal crime which is the only way he can get death, if he's sentenced in a Federal court I'm fine if the legal outcome is death penalty and I'm fine if he's ultimately only prosecuted in Massachusetts and ends up with just the life w/o parole.

Keep in mind Ariel Castro in Cleveland hasn't murdered anyone and there is a 100% chance he gets a sentence equivalent to life (i.e. hundreds of years incarceration with the parole formula meaning he has to serve hundreds of years before he's eligible, which is essentially life.)

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2013, 05:35:59 PM
We also don't need to turn him into a martyr.
:lol:

It is a foolish, foolish people whose strategy for dealing with these sorts of things is based on a million failed evil overlords.  Take a page out of the book a real evil overlord: 'No man, no problem.'
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Siege

My problem with Life w/o parole is that it could change 30 years from now.

Also, if western society collapse, he might become free and organize a militia in Montana called CUT - Church Universal and Triumphant and conquer Idaho and the Dakotas. His militiamen could will be the best heavy cavalry in the plains charging screaming "Cut, Cut, Cut!"

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps