News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Limits of Free Speech

Started by Sheilbh, August 16, 2009, 07:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I shouldn't walk off half way through a post, then come back and finish it.  That way I don't use the same phrase twice like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Just saw an article in the NY Law Journal that examined every federal criminal conviction in the last 13 years that was appealed to the Second Circuit (the court that covers NY, Connecticut and Vermont).  They found that the average reversal rate is a little under 4 percent.  But the more interesting part of the article is that it revealed very wide divergences in reversal rates among the judges. 

So of course I checked to see the historical reversal rates of the judges on the Turner case panel.

Judge Cogan wasn't on the list since he is a district (trial) court judge sitting specially by designation.
Judge Livingston, who voted to affirm the conviction, has a reversal rate of 0.8%, the second lowest on the Court.
Judge Pooler, who voted to reverse, has a reversal rate of 4.6%, the sixth highest.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson