And we're back!

Main Menu

One step closer to capturing antimatter

Started by citizen k, May 28, 2009, 01:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 11:08:24 AM
But can it be done economically? 

I would say so. Imagine you have a bunch of stuff that matters, like a small mole hill of unpaid bills. Release the antimatter, and it won't matter any more.

lustindarkness

Good ones PDH, BTW, who will volunteer to be the first one to change into Doc Manhattan?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Neil

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 28, 2009, 11:23:00 AM
Good ones PDH, BTW, who will volunteer to be the first one to change into Doc Manhattan?
No intrinsic fields are being subtracted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2009, 11:06:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 11:03:14 AM
What are the practical applications of antimatter?

I presume it would be the obvious: causing a reaction with matter to produce a release of energy.
But can it be done economically?  After all, positrons have very little mass.

I thought it took more energy to make then it would put out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2009, 12:23:16 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2009, 11:06:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 11:03:14 AM
What are the practical applications of antimatter?

I presume it would be the obvious: causing a reaction with matter to produce a release of energy.

Sounds like women are made of anti-matter then.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Even if true if it can be captured and stored it may be useful for energy storage perhaps.  After all no energy storage method is 100% efficient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Yes.  On the other hand, anti-matter is a hell of a battery.

Razgovory

Huh.  I looked this up.  Positrons seem to be just one form of anti-matter one that occurs naturally (though not on earth).  If they could  get it to produce the energy advertised then I can see how it would be handy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Still, being multiplied by the speed of light squared means very little mass in can lead to rather big results...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: ulmont on May 28, 2009, 12:31:43 PM

Anti-matter is one hell of a drug.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: PDH on May 28, 2009, 03:42:27 PM
Still, being multiplied by the speed of light squared means very little mass in can lead to rather big results...
To be sure.  But 160 femtojoules isn't so hot.  Even if you annihilate them ten trillion at a time, you're still going to produce enough energy to create a harmless puff.

Now, if they can derive a means of production for antiprotons, that might be interesting.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

from article:

In order to harness the energy of positrons, Weber listed three problems that must be overcome.

"We need to be able to generate many positrons; we need a vacuum container to store them in; and then we must convert their annihilation power into something that drives an engine or turns on the lights. Right now we are focusing on the storage problem."

Siege

What's the military potential of this?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2009, 03:43:28 PM
Quote from: ulmont on May 28, 2009, 12:31:43 PM

Anti-matter is one hell of a drug.

It's more of an anti-drug, really.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil