News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to watch Star Wars

Started by Josquius, July 04, 2013, 02:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should Star Wars be watched for the first time?

Prequels first, then the originals
1 (3.7%)
Originals first, then the prequels
26 (96.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Josquius

Just a quandry which has been rattling in my head.
Assume you're faced with a 14 year old kid who has never seen Star Wars but has decided that they want to watch them all. Avoiding the prequels isn't an option, they just don't believe it when others say they suck (what with most 14 year olds liking them...)..
In which order should they watch the films?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Originals, Prequels (highly optional), Clone Wars (highly optional - becomes a lot better in season 3), Droids (highly optional), Ewoks movies (if you want to torture yourself), Holiday Special (for getting drunk with friends)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

Originals, then prequels. Otherwise, the whole "Luke, I AM your father" surprise would be lost.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Viking

Apparently kids, kids not teenagers, love the prequels more than the original. I've gotta actually give lucas some credit here. He managed to make a movie which appealed to me as an 8 year old that appeal to today's 8 year olds. The movies aren't the cultural event they were way back then since everybody and his franchise has copied the lucas playbook.

It just pisses us off. The guys who are not in our 30s who had these amazing memories from the movies that set an impossible standard. When I went back and watched old transformers and voltron episodes (the coolest thing ever when I was a kid in the early 80s) OMG they were crap.

@Pedrito - 14 year olds who aren't already in love with it don't care about spoilers about who lukes father is.

I say start the brat on the prequels and as the kids ability to understand what Star Wars is he moves on to the middle trilogy where he can appreciate the slightly less merchandised, slightly less jar-jarized, slightly less jake lloydized version we love to this day. TBH, if you end with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s (safe for work and all that jazz)

then you are just spoling the whole thing for him. Much better to end with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-4U6GXPnc

wait, NOOOO!!!

this instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S2auEHR4rg
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Wow, votes are quite overwhelmingly originals first.
I don't think its so clear cut. Assuming you're commited to watching them all it might be better to get the meh stuff out of the way first and then enjoy the awesomeness.
I think Luke I am your father is thoroughly spoiled via pop culture references even if you've never seen the films themselves.

Quote from: Viking on July 04, 2013, 04:09:58 AM
Apparently kids, kids not teenagers, love the prequels more than the original. I've gotta actually give lucas some credit here. He managed to make a movie which appealed to me as an 8 year old that appeal to today's 8 year olds. The movies aren't the cultural event they were way back then since everybody and his franchise has copied the lucas playbook.

It just pisses us off. The guys who are not in our 30s who had these amazing memories from the movies that set an impossible standard. When I went back and watched old transformers and voltron episodes (the coolest thing ever when I was a kid in the early 80s) OMG they were crap.

I work in a HS and loads of the boys at my school like the prequel films. Some of them haven't even seen the originals. :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

You don't. Star Wars sucks. The first 3 are only good because millions of 40 years old suffer from nostalgia & the latter 3 are crap.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2013, 07:09:42 AM
You don't. Star Wars sucks. The first 3 are only good because millions of 40 years old suffer from nostalgia & the latter 3 are crap.

It's got nothing to do with nostalgia, and everything to do with being a better generation.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2013, 07:12:55 AM

It's got nothing to do with nostalgia, and everything to do with being a better generation.
kids these day!

But ya, they pretty much suck. First one was ok, then it was downhill from there
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

is it hard being so stupid?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 04, 2013, 04:31:33 AM
Wow, votes are quite overwhelmingly originals first.
I don't think its so clear cut. Assuming you're commited to watching them all it might be better to get the meh stuff out of the way first and then enjoy the awesomeness.

I don't know why one would waste their time watching the prequels. Better things to do with one's life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Originals first.

Prequels can later be watched for study.

Ed Anger

Usually, I sit in a chair and look at a screen that displays the movie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive