News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to watch Star Wars

Started by Josquius, July 04, 2013, 02:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should Star Wars be watched for the first time?

Prequels first, then the originals
1 (3.7%)
Originals first, then the prequels
26 (96.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on July 04, 2013, 07:18:09 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2013, 07:09:42 AM
You don't. Star Wars sucks. The first 3 are only good because millions of 40 years old suffer from nostalgia & the latter 3 are crap.
is it hard being so stupid?

Not enough people with berets and tattoos slouched against a lamp post smoking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I didnt think there was any question here.  Have them watch the movies in the order they were released.  Otherwise the plots lines in the original movies will be damaged.

Valmy

I woule prefer the extent of Star Wars my kids experience are the KOTOR games.  But if we have to do it originals first.  The prequels are prequels and meant to be watched second
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2013, 08:15:42 AM
Usually, I sit in a chair and look at a screen that displays the movie.

Ed wins the thread.
and the horse you rode in on

Savonarola

"Star Wars" came out when I was five, and turned thirty six this year.  For a fourteen year old today, the movie was made twenty two years before he was born; the equivalent of 1950 in my case.  The original "Star Wars" would have been the equivalent of "Treasure Island" (the Disney version) or "When Worlds Collide."  At 14 I though the former was a fine film; but certainly no "Return of the Jedi."  The latter (and the whole of 1950s Sci-Fi) I found dull, plotting and filled with abysmal special effects.

Based on my own experience I think a fourteen year old of today would find a film as old as "Star Wars" difficult to access; today movies are quicker and special effects are better.  I would recommend he watch the prequels and skip the originals.  For an older viewer, I would recommend the watching them in the order they were released.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on July 05, 2013, 09:46:14 AM
Based on my own experience I think a fourteen year old of today would find a film as old as "Star Wars" difficult to access; today movies are quicker and special effects are better.  I would recommend he watch the prequels and skip the originals.  For an older viewer, I would recommend the watching them in the order they were released.

I am not sure why you would have the fourteen-year-old of today watch any Star Wars Movie, if you really think that today's fourteen-year-olds cannot appreciate movies made before they were born (I happen to disagree, working with a hundred fourteen-and-fifteen-year-olds each year, but that's beside the point).  The later movies didn't have anything special in terms of plots, acting, or special effects, and pretty much all the cultural impact of the movies comes from the three you think they would hate because you didn't like 1950s SF.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I'd figure most anyone who prefers the prequels to the originals is going to be unimpressed with the series as a whole.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Forbidden Planet was awesome. And the trailer had yellow text scrolling away into space... hmm.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Based on my own experience I think a fourteen year old of today would find a film as old as "Star Wars" difficult to access; today movies are quicker

Are they?  I disagree.  Pace is a huge issue for a huge number of contemporary movies.  I almost wonder if kids these days can put up with pacing issues better than us; on the other hand, I wonder if absolute number of edits and the fact that stuff is always moving (even if the movement is pointless) tricks the brain into thinking that the story is moving forward.

Even then, you'd have to explain the success of the languid Dark Knight trilogy, far, far more methodical/boring than the Star Wars films.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

The race stuff in the prequels have more in common with films from the 30s anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

"Star Wars" came out when I was five, and turned thirty six this year.  For a fourteen year old today, the movie was made twenty two years before he was born; the equivalent of 1950 in my case.  The original "Star Wars" would have been the equivalent of "Treasure Island" (the Disney version) or "When Worlds Collide."  At 14 I though the former was a fine film; but certainly no "Return of the Jedi."  The latter (and the whole of 1950s Sci-Fi) I found dull, plotting and filled with abysmal special effects.

The films were rereleased in the mid 90s with the special effects updated and since then they've been updated for each new dvd/bluray release.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2013, 02:10:26 PM
I  almost wonder if kids these days can put up with pacing issues better than us; on the other hand, I wonder if absolute number of edits and the fact that stuff is always moving (even if the movement is pointless) tricks the brain into thinking that the story is moving forward.

This Assberger Generation doesn't understand pacing.  Except back and forth. Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Judge Wapner.  Yeah.

Barrister

If you go back and watch other 70s sci-fi it doesn't hold up particularly well either.  In that I agree with Sav.

But Star Wars... well, it was ahead of its time.  It helped invent the modern blockbuster.  The special effects set a new bar and the pacing was quick.

Now what might hurt a modern kid watching Star Wars is that space exploration, and the whole space opera genre, is kind of passé. :( But not the movies themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2013, 08:46:56 PM

The films were rereleased in the mid 90s with the special effects updated and since then they've been updated for each new dvd/bluray release.

But the special effects haven't all been updated.

What struck me on watching the 90s re-release is that the most dated special effects, being the 1970s-era vector graphics computer displays, weren't updated at all.  Think Luke's targeting computer on the Death Star run...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2013, 10:54:21 PMIt helped invent the modern blockbuster.

Wrong.  That was Jaws.