News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2013, 01:56:06 PM
To preserve the legacy of the Arab Spring, some general needs to take charge of the situation, marginalize Muslim Brotherhood, and bring some order for the next few decades.

I see what you did there!

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2013, 01:54:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2013, 01:50:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2013, 01:46:20 PM
I presume that is from Arab Spring, Round 1.

I've seen some internet murmurings from Egyptians pissed at Obama for foisting Morsi (sp?) on them.

Is that a fact?  I thought he was the Muslim Brotherhood dude who won the election.  How did Obama foist him on them?  I am sure he did in some weird way that is not obvious to me.

A quick google search says that the US has been accused of being the main supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Is that a fact?  I thought he was the Muslim Brotherhood dude who won the election.  How did Obama foist him on them?  I am sure he did in some weird way that is not obvious to me.

You're asking me to explain the thinking of insane people?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2013, 02:18:29 PM

Oh, come on, you do it all the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Ah.  I thought it was something we actually did not some insano conspiracy theory.  Because I have a feeling Obama would have preferred they voted for somebody other than the Muslim Brotherhood.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2013, 02:19:46 PM

Oh, come on, you do it all the time.
:XD:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 02:11:00 PM
A quick google search says that the US has been accused of being the main supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood :hmm:

Well I think we should do all we can to convince as many people as possible that the Muslim Brotherhood is the tool of the United States.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

The US has got a lot of blame for Morsi and the MB, especially from secularists. I've even seen Egyptian campaigners citing Republicans moaning about Obama supporting Morsi as an example :lol:

In fairness conspiracy theories in Arab politics aren't that insane, they're often as accurate a description of what's going on as anything else. In this case and many others they're wrong, but the mindset exists for a reason.
Let's bomb Russia!

Siege

Islam and democracy cannot cohexist.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2013, 02:52:16 PM
In fairness conspiracy theories in Arab politics aren't that insane, they're often as accurate a description of what's going on as anything else. In this case and many others they're wrong, but the mindset exists for a reason.

:mellow:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2013, 02:55:33 PM

:mellow:

Yeah, that thing about how the Mossad was releasing sharks to attack Egyptian swimmers was probably spot on.   Or the man eating badgers the British let lose in Iraq.

Viking

The US has got a lot of blame for Morsi and the MB, especially from secularists. I've even seen Egyptian campaigners citing Republicans moaning about Obama supporting Morsi as an example :lol:

This is why shelf is always wrong on mid-east issues.

Just this week.

- the Muslim Brotherhood are American Stooges
:Joos were behind the Gezi Park Protests
- Israel is behind the Syrian Rebels

Conspiracies do happen from time to time. It's just that conspiracy theories never ever ever get any of the facts right. The only thing relevant about conspiracy theories is what they tell you about the conspiracy theorists and their relations to facts and reason. David Aaronovich and Daniel Pipes have written on the topic and unlike shelf, they got it right.

You need to be a conspiracy theorist to think that HAMAS is really moderate and secular and the Brotherhood are the muslim equivalent of Christian Democrats.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 02, 2013, 03:10:43 PM

Conspiracies do happen from time to time. It's just that conspiracy theories never ever ever get any of the facts right. The only thing relevant about conspiracy theories is what they tell you about the conspiracy theorists and their relations to facts and reason. David Aaronovich and Daniel Pipes have written on the topic and unlike shelf, they got it right.

Wait, you are using Daniel Pipes as an example of anti-conspiracy theories?  The guy who tells us the Obama is an ex-Muslim?