News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to watch Star Wars

Started by Josquius, July 04, 2013, 02:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should Star Wars be watched for the first time?

Prequels first, then the originals
1 (3.7%)
Originals first, then the prequels
26 (96.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2013, 10:54:21 PM
Now what might hurt a modern kid watching Star Wars is that space exploration, and the whole space opera genre, is kind of passé. :( But not the movies themselves.

Still, the original movie told a very classic, timeless, accessible (fairy-tale) story - young boy from the farm becomes a knight, rescues the princess and strikes a blow against evil.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2013, 11:03:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2013, 10:54:21 PMIt helped invent the modern blockbuster.

Wrong.  That was Jaws.

The word was "helped".

You might as well just say that the modern blockbuster was invented by Steven Speilberg and George Lucas and be done with it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2013, 11:06:36 PM
Still, the original movie told a very classic, timeless, accessible (fairy-tale) story - young boy from the farm becomes a knight, rescues the princess and strikes a blow against evil.

The original trilogy was a re-telling of The Hero with a Thousand Faces.  Luke = Dorothy = Frodo = Ulysses = Xuanzang (fictionalized version), etc.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on July 05, 2013, 09:46:14 AM
For a fourteen year old today, the movie was made twenty two years before he was born; the equivalent of 1950 in my case.  The original "Star Wars" would have been the equivalent of "Treasure Island" (the Disney version) or "When Worlds Collide."  At 14 I though the former was a fine film; but certainly no "Return of the Jedi."  The latter (and the whole of 1950s Sci-Fi) I found dull, plotting and filled with abysmal special effects.

Based on my own experience I think a fourteen year old of today would find a film as old as "Star Wars" difficult to access; today movies are quicker and special effects are better.  I would recommend he watch the prequels and skip the originals.  For an older viewer, I would recommend the watching them in the order they were released.

Not sure what experience you are basing this on but I can tell you that my teens enjoy the original movies.  We have them on disk and they pull them out every now and then to watch them.  We have the prequals also.  Those dont get watched at all.

In fact on our last ski vacation our oldest (then 15) brought the three original movies up with us so that he and his friends who were staying with us could watch them during the vacation.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2013, 11:11:39 AM

The original trilogy was a re-telling of The Hero with a Thousand Faces.  Luke = Dorothy = Frodo = Ulysses = Xuanzang (fictionalized version), etc.

Well, yeah.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Savonarola on July 05, 2013, 09:46:14 AM
"Star Wars" came out when I was five, and turned thirty six this year.  For a fourteen year old today, the movie was made twenty two years before he was born; the equivalent of 1950 in my case.  The original "Star Wars" would have been the equivalent of "Treasure Island" (the Disney version) or "When Worlds Collide."  At 14 I though the former was a fine film; but certainly no "Return of the Jedi."  The latter (and the whole of 1950s Sci-Fi) I found dull, plotting and filled with abysmal special effects.

Based on my own experience I think a fourteen year old of today would find a film as old as "Star Wars" difficult to access; today movies are quicker and special effects are better.  I would recommend he watch the prequels and skip the originals.  For an older viewer, I would recommend the watching them in the order they were released.

Even though I'm a bit older, I disagree. War of the Worlds and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea were released in the first half of the 50s and I was completely absorbed by those movies as a kid. I think good movies hold up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Then makes out with the princess and discovers it is his sister, then blinds himself in shame...wait I'm getting this story mixed up with another old tale.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2013, 12:27:26 PM

Then makes out with the princess and discovers it is his sister, then blinds himself in shame...wait I'm getting this story mixed up with another old tale.

Not to mention that his actions lead to his father's death.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I'd think modern kids would still be able to enjoy the original Star Wars films.
Thinking back to when I was a kid...old was old generally.
Black and white was obviously the days of yore, unwatchably old, and then early colour films had something about them that just rendered them too obviously old.
But any decent colour films from the mid 60s through to the 80s- they were all equally old in the "are they watchable?" stakes.
██████
██████
██████