Why has Israel never appeared in the Civ franchise?

Started by Siege, June 27, 2013, 09:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I don't think the Celts or Zulu were particularly urbanized either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2013, 10:35:08 AM

Excellent examples.  Back on the list, probationary status.

CountDeMoney

Did any of the earlier Civ versions have the Hittites?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2013, 10:39:53 AM

Did any of the earlier Civ versions have the Hittites?

I believe Civ 3 had them in an expansion. Age of Empires 1 also had them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2013, 09:10:52 AM
For what it is worth, back in Civ II I played with a custom Israeli civ. :hug:

:thumbsup: I DID TOO!!
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Fair.

Actually in the discussion we had in game forum, Civ series has always played rather fast and loose with civs. Really not sure one can develop a coherent narrative on what states should be included and what shouldn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I actually think, now that emphasis has shifted away from having to have a gigantic empire, the Jews make sense as a Civ to include in the game.

OTOH, from a marketing standpoint including them as a playable Civ makes no sense if they want to be able to sell their product in the Middle East. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2013, 10:50:41 AM
OTOH, from a marketing standpoint including them as a playable Civ makes no sense if they want to be able to sell their product in the Middle East. :(

It'll sell in Europe though as it'll be the first empire players will try to crush, or at the very least stuff into ovens.

Malthus

I actually think, now that emphasis has shifted away from having to have a gigantic empire, the Jews make sense as a Civ to include in the game.

Just include them as an option, and people throughout the ME can have all the fun of conquering them over and over again.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I thought people liked the old Kingdom of Israel.  You just cannot have Golda Meir as the female leader :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2013, 10:52:07 AM

It'll sell in Europe though as it'll be the first empire players will try to crush, or at the very least stuff into ovens.

Assuming it's even legal to sell it with them in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2013, 10:53:38 AM

I thought people liked the old Kingdom of Israel.  You just cannot have Golda Meir as the female leader :P

Deborah would be a good Biblical choice.  ;)

For male, it could be David or Solomon.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2013, 10:54:21 AM
Assuming it's even legal to sell it with them in.

I don't see why not.  No swastikas.  I'm sure little non-specific menorahs and yarmulkes would be fine, though.

Caliga

Dude, no, if they do include TEH JOOS they definitely need to have the leader avatar be that general dude with the eyepatch.  YARRRRRRR CHAVERI
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2013, 10:59:01 AM
Dude, no, if they do include TEH JOOS they definitely need to have the leader avatar be that general dude with the eyepatch.  YARRRRRRR CHAVERI

Moshe Dayan? That guy was a mega-hardass.

But no, it'd be David Ben-Gurion all day long.
and the horse you rode in on