DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 01:07:52 PM
Talking heads are wondering why the State Department didn't suspend his visa, so he would be forced to stay put wherever he was.

You'd think that would be SOP.

edit: passport, not visa.

NPR is claiming that Snowdon's traveling on a suspended passport. Not sure what kind of fallout that's going to have for Russia and wherever Snowdon ends up.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Do you have to have a passport to enter a country? I know a country can any you entry without one (or a visa as the case may be) but is there any international law stating you need one to enter a country?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2013, 08:16:25 AM
From what I recall he had to get the ok for vacation destinations a few months in advance. Picking HK seemed less suspicious then a non-extradition country

Well wiki has that he said he got permission to leave to get his epilepsy treated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2013, 08:23:30 AM
Do you have to have a passport to enter a country? I know a country can any you entry without one (or a visa as the case may be) but is there any international law stating you need one to enter a country?

I'm pretty sure there are no treaties about who you can and cannot any entry to.

Mono: how are you feeling about the independence of HK's courts right now?  How are you feeling about HK's commitments to treaties it has signed?

The Brain

No.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 08:34:26 AM

I'm pretty sure there are no treaties about who you can and cannot any entry to.

Mono: how are you feeling about the independence of HK's courts right now?  How are you feeling about HK's commitments to treaties it has signed?

HK courts are not involved in this at all.  Nobody went to the courts, but the option to go to them was always available to Mr Snowden.  I understand that he assembled a legal team for that purpose. 

I don't think this should affect HK's committments to international treaties.  Yeah, we got ourselves out on a technicality.  But the main purpose of the extradiction treaty has always been about dealing with everyday criminals.  There is very clearly a clause in the treaty that treats political offenses differently.  I think there should be broad agreement that Snowden's case *may* be caught by that clause.  He isn't a drug lord or a murderer. 

Admiral Yi

You're contending that it can plausibly be argued that Snowden is being prosecuted for his political beliefs? :huh:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 08:58:26 AM
You're contending that it can plausibly be argued that Snowden is being prosecuted for his political beliefs? :huh:

Yes.  I think his is clearly a special case.  If the US want us to arrest murderers or drug dealers that have escaped to HK tomorrow, I'm sure we'll try our best to comply, as we have done so in the past.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on June 24, 2013, 09:08:30 AM

Yes.  I think his is clearly a special case. 

That's fucked up, yo.

Legbiter

He's going to Ecuador? Damn, prison might be better than that.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on June 24, 2013, 09:08:30 AM

Yes.  I think his is clearly a special case.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2013, 09:29:56 AM
He's going to Ecuador? Damn, prison might be better than that.

They do have mountains.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Okay Mono.  Thought about it and seeing it as a political case is not as laughable as I had first thought. :)

Doesn't get HK off the hook for making up the bullshit excuse though.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on June 24, 2013, 08:19:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 01:07:52 PM
Talking heads are wondering why the State Department didn't suspend his visa, so he would be forced to stay put wherever he was.

You'd think that would be SOP.

edit: passport, not visa.

NPR is claiming that Snowdon's traveling on a suspended passport. Not sure what kind of fallout that's going to have for Russia and wherever Snowdon ends up.

I don't see why it would have fallout for Russia. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if Russia gave him one of their passports.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014