Was Malthus ever poor?

Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

PDH

Jeez, way to miss the point, Beety.  Malthus wasn't never poor because he is a Jew in North America  :rolleyes:
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

At least we all know now that this is a great topic to raise in a forum that we want to troll  :D

Four Yorkshiremen, anyone?

garbon

You know, by all accounts, going to college is a rough period for many students. I had so many classmates that had to learn how to wash laundry or go to the grocery store. All new to them and challenging!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2013, 07:40:19 AM
I had so many classmates that had to learn how to wash laundry or go to the grocery store. All new to them and challenging!

I had that stuff down pat;  it was the actual studying and applying myself that I had never done before.

derspiess

You know, by all accounts, going to college is a rough period for many students. I had so many classmates that had to learn how to wash laundry or go to the grocery store. All new to them and challenging!

How do you not just know that stuff?  I never had anyone show me how to do it-- it was just common knowledge.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 07:41:52 AM
I had so many classmates that had to learn how to wash laundry or go to the grocery store. All new to them and challenging!

I had that stuff down pat;  it was the actual studying and applying myself that I had never done before.

:yes:

I'm learning to apply myself now - and yes, study even - and I'm still amazed at the amount of actual work is involved in it. No wonder I didn't bother trying in college the first time around.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2013, 08:15:10 AM

How do you not just know that stuff?  I never had anyone show me how to do it-- it was just common knowledge.

Presumably they never had to do anything like it.  And at least on the washing front, it is totally possible to fuck things up if you don't know some basics, pink laundry, shrunk laundry, etc.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2013, 08:20:55 AM
Presumably they never had to do anything like it.  And at least on the washing front, it is totally possible to fuck things up if you don't know some basics, pink laundry, shrunk laundry, etc.

I've taught I don't know how many kids how to do laundry, how to cook meals, etc., and not just my own kids. Hell, my current study-buddy is from Panama and had never had to even clean up after himself. The family had a maid his entire life. His aunt had to teach him how to grocery shop, do laundry, cook some basic meals, etc. when he moved here. The man is 25 years old. :blink:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 26, 2013, 08:24:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2013, 08:20:55 AM

I've taught I don't know how many kids how to do laundry, how to cook meals, etc., and not just my own kids. Hell, my current study-buddy is from Panama and had never had to even clean up after himself. The family had a maid his entire life. His aunt had to teach him how to grocery shop, do laundry, cook some basic meals, etc. when he moved here. The man is 25 years old. :blink:

Well yes that's what I was getting at. Many of these kids didn't have to do anything of the sort which at the time I found very shocking.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 07:41:52 AM

I'd never gotten drunk or kissed a boy. I remedied that freshmen year. :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on June 26, 2013, 08:20:39 AM
I'm learning to apply myself now - and yes, study even - and I'm still amazed at the amount of actual work is involved in it. No wonder I didn't bother trying in college the first time around.

I was having a smoke break with some of the young 'uns after we got back our midterms. 

They seemed completely fascinated by the concept that part of getting an A on the exam hinged on actually buying the textbook for the class.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2013, 08:26:48 AM
I'd never gotten drunk or kissed a boy. I remedied that freshmen year. :D

Oh, I bet you did.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 08:29:25 AM
I was having a smoke break with some of the young 'uns after we got back our midterms. 

They seemed completely fascinated by the concept that part of getting an A on the exam hinged on actually buying the textbook for the class.

Heh.... my study-buddy didn't think a text book was necessary for our last class, since he could just look it all up on the internet. Except that the assignments were straight out of the book - as in printed in the book, page 57, problem #2.   :rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 26, 2013, 08:20:39 AM

I think that's odd. I definitely had course readers I didn't buy and ended with As in the course.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 26, 2013, 08:39:13 AM

Heh.... my study-buddy didn't think a text book was necessary for our last class, since he could just look it all up on the internet. Except that the assignments were straight out of the book - as in printed in the book, page 57, problem #2.   :rolleyes:

:hmm:

That sounds more like lazy teaching.