Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 01:58:02 PM
I'm not sure I can think of a "legitimate" reason for Malthus to call himself black.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on June 25, 2013, 02:08:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 01:53:27 PM

How is it like that at all? Meri and CC aren't taking issue with the word poor but just as he applies to himself. I don't think the same would be true if Malthus started calling himself the n-word in public. Then black people would probably take issue with the word itself just as much as him applying it to himself.

No-no. I don't take issue with his use of the word for himself at all, anymore. He's convinced me that he's correct - from his perspective - in what he says. At this point, I don't agree with his use of the word "poor" because of the confusion that it can cause, not because I don't believe that he was or wasn't poor.

If he chooses to use that particular word to describe his circumstances, he absolutely can do so. My only remaining concern is that in doing so, his circumstances can be misconstrued to mean something that he doesn't mean. Malthus has pointed out, however, that he's kind of between a rock and a hard place on that one. I suggested broke, as his circumstances were transient, but he didn't like that word. Since I can't offer any other suggestions, I kind of feel like the conversation is at an impasse.

So far as I'm concerned, I no longer have a dog in this fight.

I don't really mind "broke", only it doesn't really fit well with a condition that lasts years. "For a few years after undergraduate, I was broke" sounds like I had no cash at all.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2013, 01:55:06 PM
How is it like that at all? Meri and CC aren't taking issue with the word poor but just as he applies to himself. I don't think the same would be true if Malthus started calling himself the n-word in public. Then black people would probably take issue with the word itself just as much as him applying it to himself.

I'm sure they'd also be annoyed if he called himself black.

Perhaps though I think part of that would depend on why. I'm not sure I can think of a "legitimate" reason for Malthus to call himself black.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057889/

:hmm:

You're going to star in a movie where you pretend to be black? :unsure:

Hey, you asked for a "legitimate" reason.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2013, 02:11:20 PM
I'm not sure I can think of a "legitimate" reason for Malthus to call himself black.

Unlike Seedy, who *is* a Black Single Mother of Six ... cats.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:18:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2013, 01:55:06 PM

I'm sure they'd also be annoyed if he called himself black.

Perhaps though I think part of that would depend on why. I'm not sure I can think of a "legitimate" reason for Malthus to call himself black.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057889/

:hmm:

You're going to star in a movie where you pretend to be black? :unsure:

Hey, you asked for a "legitimate" reason.  :D

I don't think that's legitimate.

That said, I do recall one legit reason. If you were calling yourself black as in Canadian then that would work for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 02:21:52 PM
I don't think that's legitimate.

That said, I do recall one legit reason. If you were calling yourself black as in Canadian then that would work for me.

I was riffing on the use of "scare quotes".  ;)

Does that 'Canadian' thing work in reverse?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:23:36 PM

To be honest, I can't even remember where we'd gotten that you can use black as a synonym for Canadian. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 02:25:54 PM

To be honest, I can't even remember where we'd gotten that you can use black as a synonym for Canadian. -_-

I thought the original 'thing' was that racists used 'Canadian' for 'Black', so that they could plausibly deny being racist? As in, 'those Canadians sure are lousy tippers. And they don't care for working.'

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

I thought the original 'thing' was that racists used 'Canadian' for 'Black', so that they could plausibly deny being racist? As in, 'those Canadians sure are lousy tippers. And they don't care for working.'

Ah, using this search string "canadian as euphemism for black", I found that you were correct. :thumbsup:

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:19:57 PM
Unlike Seedy, who *is* a Black Single Mother of Six ... cats.  ;)

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

'those Canadians sure are lousy tippers. And they don't care for working.'

And they're afraid of the dark.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

This is one of the weirdest languish threads in a very long time.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 02:39:58 PM

Ah, using this search string "canadian as euphemism for black", I found that you were correct. :thumbsup:

Interesting never heard of that before, either; you'd have thought it would have come up on this forum before ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2013, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 02:39:58 PM

Interesting never heard of that before, either; you'd have thought it would have come up on this forum before ?

It has. That's what I was referencing though I reversed it. :D

Teach references it now and again. We had a thread, before one of the board reboots, about it.

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2013, 05:38:54 PM
This is one of the weirdest languish threads in a very long time.
:hug: