Was Malthus ever poor?

Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

Admiral Yi

I've never encountered that colloquial meaning of know.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 01:41:32 PM

So is that an unknown known, a known unknown, or an unknown unknown?  :hmm:

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 01:41:32 PM
:huh:
You did just now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on June 25, 2013, 01:43:46 PM
:huh:
You did just now.

The colloquial sense of know suggests it has some currency.  i can't just say the colloquial sense of know is salmon loaf.

ulmont

Quote from: Maximus on June 25, 2013, 01:39:05 PM
The ambiguity of natural language would lead us to say that Magician A knows, while magician B just thinks he knows. In fact there is no functional difference.

Both of those count as "knows."

Quotetransitive verb
1 a (1) : to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2) : to have understanding of <importance of knowing oneself> (3) : to recognize the nature of : discern
b (1) : to recognize as being the same as something previously known (2) : to be acquainted or familiar with (3) : to have experience of

2 a : to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of
b : to have a practical understanding of <knows how to write>

3 archaic : to have sexual intercourse with
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/know

Magicians A and B both fall under definition 2a, with both "be[ing] convinced or certain of" the red marble, even though A is right and B is wrong.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2013, 01:37:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 01:17:31 PM
People who are not crazy?  :hmm:

Yeah, because rich kids who think they are poor have no problem with their grip on reality at all.

People taking incredible, drawn-out umbrage over the ordinary use of the word "poor", on the other hand ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

If only there was a way to monetize this thread, we'd never be poor.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2013, 01:04:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 12:52:13 PM
I've explained in detail what I said and what I meant. If you can't accept it, well, really, what can I say? That's just too bad.

I think it's a black thing, you don't have the right to use the "p" word.

How is it like that at all? Meri and CC aren't taking issue with the word poor but just as he applies to himself. I don't think the same would be true if Malthus started calling himself the n-word in public. Then black people would probably take issue with the word itself just as much as him applying it to himself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 01:53:27 PM
How is it like that at all? Meri and CC aren't taking issue with the word poor but just as he applies to himself. I don't think the same would be true if Malthus started calling himself the n-word in public. Then black people would probably take issue with the word itself just as much as him applying it to himself.

I'm sure they'd also be annoyed if he called himself black.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2013, 01:55:06 PM

Perhaps though I think part of that would depend on why. I'm not sure I can think of a "legitimate" reason for Malthus to call himself black.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 01:07:17 PM
I've explained in detail what I said and what I meant. If you can't accept it, well, really, what can I say? That's just too bad.

:D

Honestly, I've never encountered anything like this level of sensitivity about the "p" word.
Here is an analogy to make it clear. 

Let's say that you mention in some thread how many years ago, on one night, your limo driver got lost in the city, and you missed your dinner in the four star restaurant.  You were starving due to missing that dinner, and that traumatic experience made you resolved to always have a helicopter on standby in case such situation occurs again with the new limo driver.  When a Holocaust survivor reads that thread, he would not appreciate your use of the word "starving".

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 01:58:02 PM

Perhaps though I think part of that would depend on why. I'm not sure I can think of a "legitimate" reason for Malthus to call himself black.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057889/

:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2013, 02:00:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 01:07:17 PM

:D

Honestly, I've never encountered anything like this level of sensitivity about the "p" word.
Here is an analogy to make it clear. 

Let's say that you mention in some thread how many years ago, on one night, your limo driver got lost in the city, and you missed your dinner in the four star restaurant.  You were starving due to missing that dinner, and that traumatic experience made you resolved to always have a helicopter on standby in case such situation occurs again with the new limo driver.  When a Holocaust survivor reads that thread, he would not appreciate your use of the word "starving".

That's a really, really stupid analogy, because people say "I'm starving" all the time when they don't literally mean they were starving to death, and no-body - not a holocaust survivor, not an refugee from central africa - no-one would claim that it is somehow offensive to say "I'm starving, wanna grab a burger?"  :lol:

merithyn

No-no. I don't take issue with his use of the word for himself at all, anymore. He's convinced me that he's correct - from his perspective - in what he says. At this point, I don't agree with his use of the word "poor" because of the confusion that it can cause, not because I don't believe that he was or wasn't poor.

If he chooses to use that particular word to describe his circumstances, he absolutely can do so. My only remaining concern is that in doing so, his circumstances can be misconstrued to mean something that he doesn't mean. Malthus has pointed out, however, that he's kind of between a rock and a hard place on that one. I suggested broke, as his circumstances were transient, but he didn't like that word. Since I can't offer any other suggestions, I kind of feel like the conversation is at an impasse.

So far as I'm concerned, I no longer have a dog in this fight.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 01:58:02 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057889/

:hmm:

You're going to star in a movie where you pretend to be black? :unsure: