The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2013, 06:50:52 PM
Yeah Joan, not sure how the lesson is if you're black you should bring a gun to a sidewalk pounding.

That's not my understanding of how that confrontation started.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 14, 2013, 07:09:17 PM

What is your understanding of how the confrontation started?

alfred russel

It seems this trial cuts across a lot of very contentious issues--and the right wing views tend to line up behind zimmerman, left wing Martin:
white vs. black
concealed carry of firearms
the extent to which private citizens defer to the police force in crime prevention / exercise deadly force when threatened

In the end, I think the real problem isn't so much Zimmerman, but that if you let people like Zimmerman carry concealed weapons this sort of thing is going to happen. And actually, it is only a news story because of some rather flukey circumstances.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 14, 2013, 07:09:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2013, 06:50:52 PM
Yeah Joan, not sure how the lesson is if you're black you should bring a gun to a sidewalk pounding.

Well either way shooting the only other direct witness and then claiming self defense worked out.  I'm not sure it would work if you were black.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2013, 07:17:01 PM
Well either way shooting the only other direct witness and then claiming self defense worked out.  I'm not sure it would work if you were black.

Zimmerman didn't manage to shoot the neighbor who saw him getting pounded on the side walk.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2013, 07:21:11 PM

Zimmerman didn't manage to shoot the neighbor who saw him getting pounded on the side walk.

Neighbor didn't see the whole thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2013, 07:21:11 PM

He was out of ammunition.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Yeah, two people could give us the clearest idea what happened that night.  One was killed by the other one who felt it was not in his best interest to testify on the stand what exactly happened.

Razgovory

Baseline is white on white.  It would appear that if Martin had shot Zimmerman instead of the other way around his chances in court aren't so good.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/criminal-justice/is-there-racial-bias-in-stand-your-ground-laws/

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2013, 07:35:28 PM
It would appear that if Martin had shot Zimmerman instead of the other way around his chances in court aren't so good.

Or alternatively, blacks are more prone than whites to initiate violence, and a black Zimmerman would have been found not guilty of killing a white Trayvon.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2013, 07:51:15 PM
It would appear that if Martin had shot Zimmerman instead of the other way around his chances in court aren't so good.

Or alternatively, blacks are more prone than whites to initiate violence, and a black Zimmerman would have been found not guilty of killing a white Trayvon.

What ever you say, Yi. :rolleyes:

MadBurgerMaker

Baseline is white on white.  It would appear that if Martin had shot Zimmerman instead of the other way around his chances in court aren't so good.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/criminal-justice/is-there-racial-bias-in-stand-your-ground-laws/

That doesn't seem to say anything about black on brown killings.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2013, 06:54:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2013, 06:33:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2013, 05:14:21 PM
He could simply have flashed it as he was making his citizens arrest.  After all he didn't want him to get away, cause "those punks always get away".

So now he does have to pull it out.

No, he simply made it known that he had it.  You can display a weapon with out unholstering it.
If you are carrying concealed Raz;
Just how close do you get to someone or allow them to get to you, when you "display" that you have a holstered sidearm to the other person?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".