The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I'm backing the guy who the evidence presented tends to support.

Examing the facts *then* coming to a conclusion is an exhilarating feeling Raz. 

Razgovory

Fact brought before a jury aren't all the facts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

What relevant facts are being kept from the jury in this case?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
What relevant facts are being kept from the jury in this case?

Presumably, the secret ones that would justify the pre-determined positions of Raz and Seedy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2013, 07:20:32 PM
It's nice how this has become about the guilt or innocence of the victim.
:yes: When the defense team is done, they're going to exhume Tayvon's body and put it in the electric chair.

derspiess

If in fact Trayvon was ultimately the aggressor, wouldn't it behoove the defense team to identify him as such?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 09:00:04 PM
If in fact Trayvon was ultimately the aggressor, wouldn't it behoove the defense team to identify him as such?
Maybe, but putting his body in the electric chair?  That's uncalled for.

Eddie Teach

Well I suppose he could be charged with felony murder.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2013, 09:02:01 PM
Maybe, but putting his body in the electric chair?  That's uncalled for.

That might be a bit much, yes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The trace amounts of marijuana in his system will prove the behoove. 

It's an established fact in the scientific community that the pot you smoked last week makes you ground and pound the wannabe cop that starts a fight with you.  Reefer Madness, baby.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 09:15:10 PM

The trace amounts of marijuana in his system will prove the behoove. 

It's an established fact in the scientific community that the pot you smoked last week makes you ground and pound the wannabe cop that starts a fight with you.  Reefer Madness, baby.

-_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Unless the jury is swayed by emotionalism I still don't see how Zimmerman gets convicted.

Even with SYG laws, I'm reminded of a story I may have told on here at one point in my 10 years of posting here. I have a cousin (actually he was my grandfather's brother's son, so my cousin once removed) who because of age difference quirks in my family tree was substantially younger than me such that we had more of an uncle/nephew relationship. In any case, he had a girlfriend in High School that he broke it off with. A few months later she starts "chatting" with him on instant messaging (this was late 90s in the height of the YIM/ICQ/AIM days), and then she basically intentionally tells her new bo that she's chatting with her ex a lot, to make him jealous. Her new boyfriend was in his early 20s dating a 17 year old. Anyway, he gets mad and starts threatening my cousin, my cousin being a hot headed young guy at the time decides to meet him for a fight in the parking lot of a local retail store (classic.)

Now, despite being around 4 years younger than this guy, my cousin was a heavy weight lifter in High School, one of the best wrestlers in the state and a linebacker on the football team. So he was a pretty big, tough 17 year old. In the fight, the older guy who was more of a thin/Idealogue (white trash era) looking guy gets his ass beat and ends up flat on his back. At that point he decides he doesn't like losing their bout of mutual combat and after my cousin backed off he jumps up and stabs him--catching his liver.

A bunch of people were there to watch the fight, so they all react in shock and try to get my cousin to the hospital, but the guy with the knife runs up and starts slashing the tires of the car they're trying to get him into. At that point two girls that were friends with my cousin actually chase the knife-wielding guy away by basically trying to run him over with their car, at which point my cousin is rushed to the ER. He ends up being fine after a few days in the hospital, with a scar and a cool story to tell.

At the trial, the guy is acquitted 100%, his attorney successfully argues that while it started as a mutual fight, once my cousin had his client down on the ground he had a fear for his life (even though several witnesses were there and said my cousin was not hitting him or kicking him while he was down.) In Zimmerman's case, I think the prosecution has even less to work with, no eye witnesses, clear evidence that when Zimmerman was on his back, Martin was over top of him etc.

I actually suspect the particulars between the two fights are very similar. I suspect Zimmerman started stuff with Martin, I won't say who threw the first punch but I'd say up to the point Zimmerman went down it was probably classic "mutual combat." Once Zimmerman was down, I suspect like the guy who stabbed my cousin, he didn't like losing a fight, so he decided to kill Martin. But he had a gun whereas the guy who stabbed my cousin had a knife, so Martin ends up dead.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 10, 2013, 09:01:05 AM
Unless the jury is swayed by emotionalism I still don't see how Zimmerman gets convicted.

Unfortunately, it's going to have to take a different case to knock off this "Stand Your Ground" crap with wannabe cops. 
Because not enough wannabe cops are getting themselves killed, the other alternative is to send them to jail.

But at least he can enjoy dealing with the very long, very expensive wrongful death civil lawsuit for the next several years.