11 (37.9%)
Chase label on the bag?  Oh hells no
18 (62.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2013, 11:10:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2013, 09:46:39 AM
Actually just donate to charity. :)

Thing is, the money might not have belonged to Chase, but rather a Chase customer. It could be someone from a small business on their way to make a deposit who lost the money.

A deposit slip will have been in the bag, then.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 12:09:28 PM

They still make those?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 12:11:32 PM

They still make those?

Yes.  How else do you record cash deposits?

I'm all up on this because I just had to prepare a big employee theft case where the employee was screwing around with the cash deposits. :smarty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 12:14:14 PM
Yes.  How else do you record cash deposits?

I put cash into the machine and it spits out a receipt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I'm pretty sure that notes on a bank supply bag (I assume it was a bag used for cash supply to bank offices that got lost) are somehow labelled or followed for, as the very least, supply management stuff, let alone legal stuff. The moment you use one of those bank notes somebody's alarm is going to ring.

Maximus

I just withdrew a bunch of cash this morning. I got it in an envelope with the bank's name on it, no deposit slip in the envelope.

Of course it wasn't $20k. Maybe things are different at that level.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 12:17:47 PM
I put cash into the machine and it spits out a receipt.

Machines here don't accept deposits. I figured it was a US thing. Wish they did.

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on June 20, 2013, 12:19:51 PM

I just withdrew a bunch of cash this morning. I got it in an envelope with the bank's name on it, no deposit slip in the envelope.

Of course it wasn't $20k. Maybe things are different at that level.

The question was one of deposit, not withdrawal. But yes, even a withdrawal will often come with a receipt when done for a business or for someone who requests it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on June 20, 2013, 12:21:11 PM
Machines here don't accept deposits. I figured it was a US thing. Wish they did.

Really?  I've never banked anywhere that didn't allow deposits on their own machines.

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 09:25:05 AM
Most commonly it's people using stolen bank cards.  Rarely there's a robbery or the like.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. Who the hell doesn't know there are cameras at ATMs?

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2013, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 09:25:05 AM
Most commonly it's people using stolen bank cards.  Rarely there's a robbery or the like.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. Who the hell doesn't know there are cameras at ATMs?

Stupid and/or desperate.

Another common ploy is for someone to use an ATM to "desposit", say, a $1000 cheque into their account, when in fact the envelope they put in the machine is empty.  I mean - it's their own account!  Of course they're going to get caught.  But people still do it...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2013, 01:51:31 PM

John Connor didn't get caught.  :huh:

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 01:54:06 PMStupid and/or desperate.

Another common ploy is for someone to use an ATM to "desposit", say, a $1000 cheque into their account, when in fact the envelope they put in the machine is empty.  I mean - it's their own account!  Of course they're going to get caught.  But people still do it...

Recent thing happening in Vancouver:

Go to a bar or public party where things are hopping.

Either identify a target, or simply seed unattended drinks with date-rape drugs.

Hang back and observe as the drug takes effect. People will just assume the targets are getting super shit faced.

Figure out who is not there with close friends. Bundle them off into a cab. People will assume you're taking care of your too drunk friend.

Head to the nearest bank machine. Get the target's pin numbers (easy, they're super suggestible due to the drugs), deposit fake checks and withdraw the maximum from their various credit cards and bank cards.

The banks will treat it as customer trying to defraud them, the victim will remember few details, and the police will assume they're a drunkard trying to avoid responsibility for their own actions.

Admiral Yi

Anyone here ever been roofied?  (Ruffied?  Rufied?)

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2013, 02:22:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 01:54:06 PMStupid and/or desperate.

Recent thing happening in Vancouver:

Go to a bar or public party where things are hopping.

Either identify a target, or simply seed unattended drinks with date-rape drugs.

Hang back and observe as the drug takes effect. People will just assume the targets are getting super shit faced.

Figure out who is not there with close friends. Bundle them off into a cab. People will assume you're taking care of your too drunk friend.

Head to the nearest bank machine. Get the target's pin numbers (easy, they're super suggestible due to the drugs), deposit fake checks and withdraw the maximum from their various credit cards and bank cards.

The banks will treat it as customer trying to defraud them, the victim will remember few details, and the police will assume they're a drunkard trying to avoid responsibility for their own actions.

Perhaps.  But far more common occurrence is:

Have serious drug addiction.

Don't have any money for drugs.

Defraud the bank because although you know they'll catch you, it gets you drugs for that weekend, and that's more important right now.