Do you or don't you?

God, Baby Jesus and Elvis would want me to do The Right Thing, turn it in
11 (37.9%)
Chase label on the bag?  Oh hells no
18 (62.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

grumbler

Here's what I don't get
Quotespotted a bag on the road that appeared to her like a soiled diaper and pulled over, thinking that someone had discarded it.

What kind of a person pulls over to pick up soiled diapers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

In England it would be theft if you kept it. You hand it in at the police station and if nobody claims it it becomes yours after 28 days. Theoretically that applies to fivers or a tenner too, but I doubt anyone would actually go through all that rigmarole for a few quid.

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2013, 10:19:29 AM
Here's what I don't get
Quotespotted a bag on the road that appeared to her like a soiled diaper and pulled over, thinking that someone had discarded it.

She said that she thought it was money, then figured it had to be a dirty diaper, but she turned around to find out.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Here's what I don't get

Yeah, I was scratching my head there too.

Woman:  Ooh, ooh, a soiled diaper, let's pull over and take a look! :w00t:  Oh, it's just a bag with money.  :(

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2013, 09:33:17 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2013, 08:22:50 AM
I actually got a windfall out of a bank once, many years ago when I was a broke teen.

Happened like this: I was down to my last few cents and needed cash, fast, for a cab - it was like 2 in the AM and I was drunk and stoned far from home, and on my own, having just vacated a party.

I walked and walked to find a bank machine. They weren't as common then, this was the only one for a long way, on the wall outside a bank. Some guy was ahead of me, using his card. It didn't work. The machine would not give any cash for him. He warned me not to use it, machine was fucked.

But I really, really needed some cash. So I put my card in, thinking maybe it was just his card that was fucked. The other guy stuck around, to see what would happen. I tried to take 20 bucks out.

The machine gave a strange grinding sound, and instead of the 20 bucks, a sort of chewed up wad poked out of the slot. I pulled on this, and it turned out to be a wad of bills. Both of us kept pulling on the wad and the bills kept comming. Some of them were pretty mangled, but in the end we had a few hundred dollars worth.

We just split that cash and took off. There was no question of handing it back to the bank, even though I suppose it would be pretty easy for the bank to find us - it had our card info. Nothing came of it, though.
You should have offered to split the loot 80-20, under threat of turning over that cash to the bank.

Because arguing over stolen loot at 2 am on a deserted street with a complete stranger when you are drunk is a good idea ... ?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 07:30:52 AM
While driving along the road, Scott said the bag barely caught her eye. "It looked like a gallon-size baggie with a blue zipper on top.

"It just barely caught my eye, and I thought it was money, then was like, 'Nah, it's probably a dirty diaper.'"

Scott made the decision to turn around and investigate. But before she could, a dump truck drove over the bag, partially ripping it open.

For heaven's sake.... :rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 10:47:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 07:30:52 AM
While driving along the road, Scott said the bag barely caught her eye. "It looked like a gallon-size baggie with a blue zipper on top.

"It just barely caught my eye, and I thought it was money, then was like, 'Nah, it's probably a dirty diaper.'"

Scott made the decision to turn around and investigate. But before she could, a dump truck drove over the bag, partially ripping it open.

For heaven's sake.... :rolleyes:

I always think bags on the side of the road are money or diapers. Unfortunately I never investigate. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2013, 10:49:34 AM

I always think bags on the side of the road are money or diapers. Unfortunately I never investigate. :(

Now you know that you should. :sleep:

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2013, 09:46:39 AM
Actually just donate to charity. :)

Charity couldn't accept a cash donation that large.

Edit: or rather it would have to be reported, including your name.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Oooh, it's even! I'm trying to figure out if I'm morally superior or just stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Thing is, the money might not have belonged to Chase, but rather a Chase customer. It could be someone from a small business on their way to make a deposit who lost the money.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2013, 11:10:49 AM

Thing is, the money might not have belonged to Chase, but rather a Chase customer. It could be someone from a small business on their way to make a deposit who lost the money.

Sucks to be them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2013, 11:13:12 AMSucks to be them.

:lol:

Even when you contemplate charity your cruelty shines through.

MadImmortalMan

Here's what I don't get

It's College Station.

Aggies.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive