Previous topic - Next topic

Do you or don't you?

God, Baby Jesus and Elvis would want me to do The Right Thing, turn it in
11 (37.9%)
Chase label on the bag?  Oh hells no
18 (62.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

CountDeMoney

QuoteOut-of-work teacher finds bank bag containing $20K on side of road - and turns it in
Candace Scott, an unemployed teacher in College Station, Texas, discovered the bag and turned it into her local Chase bank branch. Thankfully, her honesty was rewarded.

One man's dirty diaper is another woman's cash cow.

An unemployed teacher driving in College Station, Texas, on Tuesday morning spotted a bag on the road that appeared to her like a soiled diaper and pulled over, thinking that someone had discarded it.

Candace Scott would soon find out the bag held much more - $20,000 in cash.

Even though she is out of work, Scott never for a second thought of keeping the money.

She told the Eagle newspaper that she first mulled calling 911 to report it missing or driving it to her local police precinct.

Scott ended up driving it to the local Chase branch to report the money found, as the bag had a Chase bank label on it, The Eagle newspaper reported.

The bank teller graciously thanked the Good Samaritan for returning the money.

"She told me I'm the most honest person in the world, and I said, 'Or the dumbest.'"

While driving along the road, Scott said the bag barely caught her eye. "It looked like a gallon-size baggie with a blue zipper on top.

"It just barely caught my eye, and I thought it was money, then was like, 'Nah, it's probably a dirty diaper.'"

Scott made the decision to turn around and investigate. But before she could, a dump truck drove over the bag, partially ripping it open.

Still, the out-of-work teacher was able to retrieve it. "There were two huge bundles of hundred-dollar bills wrapped in rubber bands," Scott said.

She told The Eagle that she initially thought it could be money from a drug deal before she spotted Chase's logo. She never counted the full amount before turning it in, but Greg Hassell, a Houston-based spokesman for the bank, said the bag contained around $20,000.

He refused to comment further about how the windfall came to rest on the side of a Texas road, citing carrier security issues.

But Scott wasn't left empty-handed for her honesty - she was given a $500 Chase debit card.

"Maybe it's a sign my luck is changing," an optimistic Scott told the newspaper.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

There are a number of reasons why I would turn in a bag of money to the police.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

I'd want to keep it... very badly, especially because I really, really hate Chase Bank. But everytime I spent a dollar of that money, I'd feel like absolute shit. So yes, I'd turn it in. :weep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

I would turn it in out of sheer paranoia.  When you suddenly start depositing lots of cash, or using lots of cash, it gets people suspicious you are a drug dealer or doing something else illegal.  Besides how do I know the money is not counterfeit?  Too dangerous, best to turn it in and take my chances of getting a measely $500.00 gift card.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Is this a serious question?

I'd keep it, of course I'd keep it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Is it breaking a law to keep it?

Serious question.

The Brain

Obviously I wouldn't turn it in to anyone else than the police.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 07:47:11 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 07:40:12 AM

Serious question.

Yup.

It's Texas, so you can keep it if you find it after sunset.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 07:47:11 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 07:40:12 AM

Serious question.

Yup.

Which law? Why is it illegal to keep money that you've found?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

I find cars all the time in the streets. Of course I keep them, it's legal.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 07:35:50 AM
I would turn it in out of sheer paranoia.  When you suddenly start depositing lots of cash, or using lots of cash, it gets people suspicious you are a drug dealer or doing something else illegal.  Besides how do I know the money is not counterfeit?  Too dangerous, best to turn it in and take my chances of getting a measely $500.00 gift card.

I think I'd destroy it before handing it over to Chase. Fuck them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Why not instead destroy Chase and keep the money?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017