News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taliban ready for peace talks with U.S.A.

Started by Syt, June 18, 2013, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/06/u-s-to-begin-peace-negotiations-with-taliban/

QuoteU.S. To Begin Peace Negotiations With Taliban

The Taliban said today that they are prepared to sit down for direct peace talks with Afghan and U.S. officials over the future of Afghanistan.

The news comes as Afghan President Hamid Karzai announced today that Afghan security forces have taken over the country's security lead from the U.S.-led NATO coalition.

Both developments were major milestones in the 12 year war that began shortly after al Qaeda, protected by the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, launched the 9/11 terror attacks against the U.S.

Taliban officials today released a statement opposing the use of Afghan soil to threaten other countries, a critical step to breaking ties with Al Qaeda, and supporting the Afghan peace process.

These statements fulfill the requirements for the Taliban to open a political office in Doha, Qatar, for the purpose of negotiating with the Afghan government.

President Obama said today, "This is an important step towards reconciliation, although its an early step, we anticipate there will be lots of bumps in road. But the fact that the parties have talked and discussed Afghan future that is very important."

"One thing we do believe is any insurgent group including the Taliban will need to accept an Afghan constitution that renounces ties to al Qaeda, ends violence, and is committed to protections [for] women and minorities in the country," the president said.

A senior Obama administration official said,  "We welcome this.  These statements represent an important first step towards reconciliation — a process that, after 30 years of armed conflict in Afghanistan, will certainly promise to be complex, long and messy, but nonetheless, this is an important first step."

While the U.S. will have its first direct talks with the Taliban in the coming days, administration officials stressed that the peace negotiating process must be Afghan-led.

"The core of this process is not going to be the U.S.- Taliban talks. Those can help advance the process, but the core of it is going to be negotiations among Afghans, and the level of trust on both sides is extremely low, as one would expect.  So it's going to be a long, hard process if indeed it advances significantly at all," the official said.

In addition to encouraging the Taliban to sever ties with Al Qaeda, detainee exchanges are also expected to be on the U.S-Taliban agenda, including the return of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
"Yes. Clearly, we do want to get our soldier, Sergeant Bergdahl, back.  And I would expect that detainee exchanges would be an item on the U.S.-Taliban agenda," an official said.

"That will be a discussion item.  It's not something that is agreed to at this point, so it's a topic for the types of discussions that the U.S. will have with the Taliban," added another official.    Senior administration officials hailed today as a "milestone on the path toward peace" but also tried to temper expectations.   "We need to be realistic.  This is a new development, a potentially significant development.  But peace is not at hand," an official said.

This will not be the first time that U.S. and Taliban officials have engaged in talks. They have done so, albeit quietly, in the past.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

It would be a tad bit inconsistent for the US to tell Israel it should talk to the Palestinians and then have the US refuse to talk to the Taliban.

Valmy

QuoteOne thing we do believe is any insurgent group including the Taliban will need to accept an Afghan constitution that renounces ties to al Qaeda, ends violence, and is committed to protections [for] women and minorities in the country

Hrmmm...those do not seem like very concrete terms.  It would be like Stalin agreeing to democracy in Poland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2013, 01:31:49 PM
Peace with honor.

Afghanization of the war effort seems complete :P

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-hands-afghan-war-afghan-troops-12-years/story?id=19425730#Afghanistan

QuoteU.S. Hands Over Afghan War to Afghan Troops 12 Years After Invasion

It's arguably the biggest milestone since the war began as Afghan forces officially took over the country's security responsibilities from NATO forces today.

"This is a historic moment for our country and from tomorrow all of the security operations will be in the hands of the Afghan security forces," Afghan President Hamid Karzai said at the ceremony, held at the new National Defense University built to train Afghanistan's future military officers.

As the transition ceremony was taking place in Kabul, however, a large bomb exploded, killing at least three people and injuring dozens more, according to the Ministry of Interior. The blast was in the Pul-e-Surkh area of the western part of the city, which is miles away from the site of the handover ceremony attended by NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

The blast was the latest in a particularly fierce Taliban summer offensive this year.

With Afghans now in charge with their own security, it marks a major step in the almost 12 year war. In political jargon, they call it "taking the lead." In practical terms, here's what it means:

American and coalition troops will no longer plan, execute, or lead any missions. All combat decisions will be made by Afghan leaders. Afghans will be conducting all missions, requesting American assistance on the ground only when required. There will still be U.S. air support,, but jets will only be scrambled if Afghans specifically ask for it.

In a very literal sense, Americans will no longer be "on the front lines." In most cases, U.S. troops will pull back to bigger bases, where they will "advise" Afghan missions over the radio in real-time, rather than physically going out on patrol. In cases where Americans do go out on joint missions, they are under orders to let the Afghans engage the Taliban directly.

After more than a decade, American troops are no longer looking to pick a fight with the Taliban. That's now the job of the Afghan army.

Dozens of bases will be handed over to the Afghans in the coming months. Other bases that cannot be sustained under Afghan control will simply be dismantled.

It doesn't mean Americans are fully out of harm's way. Insider attacks will likely still occur, and American anti-IED teams will still go on dangerous patrols to clear highways of roadside bombs. But overall, a sharp decline is expected in the numbers of Americans that are killed.

This also opens up the possibility for American troops to fully withdraw sooner than expected, especially if Afghan forces prove over the summer that they can handle the Taliban on their own.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

QuoteAfter more than a decade, American troops are no longer looking to pick a fight with the Taliban. That's now the job of the Afghan army.

I predict: this will end well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 01:41:52 PM
QuoteAfter more than a decade, American troops are no longer looking to pick a fight with the Taliban. That's now the job of the Afghan army.

Well, let's have the Chinese take their turn before we pass final judgment. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

Let's hope they transport all of the women out before they let the Taliban take over. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 01:46:07 PM
Let's hope they transport all of the women out before they let the Taliban take over. :(

Sure.  They can all stay at your house.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2013, 01:47:10 PM

Sure.  They can all stay at your house.

Better that than to leave them to the "mercy" of the Taliban. :mellow:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Where to?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 01:48:05 PM

Better for them.  Not sure you're ready for the non-stop ululating, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2013, 01:48:05 PM

It is not like the men and children do much better under the Taliban.

Non-Pashtuns anyway.

Anyway I say we do what we should have done back in 2001.  If the Taliban makes too many gains we can support the slightly less objectionable Afghans with airpower and special forces.  Never should have put boots on the ground in that place...ah well.

Neil

Probably some kind of Red Wedding situation coming up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 01:41:52 PM

I wonder if Kabul will break Saigon's land speed record.

Then again the Taliban may not even bother with it, satisfied with the rest of the country.