News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taliban ready for peace talks with U.S.A.

Started by Syt, June 18, 2013, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 02:13:57 PM
Then again the Taliban may not even bother with it, satisfied with the rest of the country.

The Taliban will not make much headway in the north where they have zero popular support.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 01:53:07 PM
Anyway I say we do what we should have done back in 2001.  If the Taliban makes too many gains we can support the slightly less objectionable Afghans with airpower and special forces.  Never should have put boots on the ground in that place...ah well.

The problem is that is what was done at the beginning of the operation.  Quick history refresher.  The US and the rest of us depend on the Northern Alliance to deal with the Taliban with the exception of providing some air power and some special forces (including Canadians).

The lack of boots on the ground allows the Taliban to escape into Pakistan.

We live with the results of that decision for over a decade as the West sends increasing numbers of troops to deal with Taliban incursions from the border regions.

derspiess

There were already plenty of Taliban in Pakistan, and I'm not sure we'd have been able to provide enough boots to prevent the withdrawal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The Taliban are a renewable resource, so long as their educational infrastructure and Pakistani backing stay in place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2013, 02:19:55 PM
The problem is that is what was done at the beginning of the operation.  Quick history refresher.  The US and the rest of us depend on the Northern Alliance to deal with the Taliban with the exception of providing some air power and some special forces (including Canadians).

The lack of boots on the ground allows the Taliban to escape into Pakistan.

We live with the results of that decision for over a decade as the West sends increasing numbers of troops to deal with Taliban incursions from the border regions.

LOL.  No the Taliban was already well set up in Pakistan, being where they came from and all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2013, 02:22:40 PM
There were already plenty of Taliban in Pakistan, and I'm not sure we'd have been able to provide enough boots to prevent the withdrawal.

Maybe not entirely but it would have been more effective than 100 % withdrawal.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 01:41:52 PM
QuoteAfter more than a decade, American troops are no longer looking to pick a fight with the Taliban. That's now the job of the Afghan army.

I predict: this will end well.

I wonder if Kabul will break Saigon's land speed record.

Then again the Taliban may not even bother with it, satisfied with the rest of the country.

Will Karzai or the next leader end up as Najibullah? He held for three years with some Soviet support all right but ended badly.
Declare Victory and Leave before it's too late?

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2013, 04:16:50 PM
Will Karzai or the next leader end up as Najibullah? He held for three years with some Soviet support all right but ended badly.

Karzai's no fool.  He & his cronies have built up a huge nest egg & will be on the first flight out of there to when things go to hell.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I think we need to negotiate a peace treaty with Taliban that will cement our victory, coat all the helicopter skids in grease, and get the fuck out.

Viking

Who are these people? Do they speak for the Taliban? Do they speak for all the Afghan Taliban? Do they speak for all the Taliban? Will Pakistan just create a new Taliban if this one realizes that we just want them to be happy, rich and peaceful? Will this end the conflict? Can this end the conflict? Will Karzai screw up the peace process just to keep pilfering the 90% of his GDP which is foreign aid? When they say peace do they mean the same thing that we mean when we say peace? What will happen to the Hazara? What will happen to women's rights? What will happen to the girls schools? What will happen to development aid projects? What will happen to the opium trade? What will happen to pre-islamic cultural artifacts? Are they any pre-islamic cultural artifacts left? How will the Tajiks react? How will the rest of the Afghans react when they realize we don't want the Tajiks screwed over? Do we care is the Tajiks are screwed over?

.. and I'm just starting.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 18, 2013, 02:24:07 PM
The Taliban are a renewable resource, so long as their educational infrastructure and Pakistani backing stay in place.

Yeah, and the policy of trying to bleed the North Vietnamese dry never worked either, though if I recall the casualties inflicted on them at one point were approaching half of the birth rate.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2013, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 01:41:52 PM
QuoteAfter more than a decade, American troops are no longer looking to pick a fight with the Taliban. That's now the job of the Afghan army.

I predict: this will end well.

I wonder if Kabul will break Saigon's land speed record.

We discussed this a year or so ago, can't find the thread, but I was of the opinion 18 months max. 

I happen to think Karzai is so corrupt that he'll be one of those leaders who'll flee with a 'plane load' of gold, rather than see it out to the bitter end like say Bashir al-Assad, who seems determined to fight. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2013, 05:34:26 PM
Yeah, and the policy of trying to bleed the North Vietnamese dry never worked either, though if I recall the casualties inflicted on them at one point were approaching half of the birth rate.   :(

This suggests that US policy in both Vietnam and in Afghanistan was "to bleed them dry," neither of which to my mind is accurate.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2013, 06:39:03 PM

This suggests that US policy in both Vietnam and in Afghanistan was "to bleed them dry," neither of which to my mind is accurate.
:yes: The policy was to bleed us dry.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2013, 06:39:03 PM

It doesn't.