And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2018, 09:36:47 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 04, 2018, 08:49:07 PM
You  need to have the right head gear, drums and proper dance sequence to make it rain. Pretty much guarantees to get rain within a week to fourteen days.

Really depends on how many people you can get to dance with you, and how much they perspire.

:D

Syt

Quote from: Liep on July 04, 2018, 10:25:31 AMOn the other side the farmers are struggling with a country wide drought and the grass is no longer green.

From Reddit:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Satellite imagery of Britain comparing May and July:

I'm off to Manchester this weekend where temps aren't supposed to be higher than 23c/73f while London will be getting again to 30c/86f. Friend from up North told me it is the first time she's heard someone happy for Manchester's weather. :D :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2018, 11:00:47 AM
Satellite imagery of Britain comparing May and July:

I'm off to Manchester this weekend where temps aren't supposed to be higher than 23c/73f while London will be getting again to 30c/86f. Friend from up North told me it is the first time she's heard someone happy for Manchester's weather. :D :blush:

:D

Yeah, I've a free train ticket I could use to see my cousin and I'm seriously considering visiting her some weekend soon, she also lives in Manchester.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

16c/61f and rainy as train pulled out of station in Crewe. I've never been this happy to need a jacket.  :showoff: :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

The drought comes on apace.

KRonn

Rainy week here. Rained Sunday and off and on rain much of the week. Humid tonight. This is the first time I've used my A/C in a while.

PDH

Horrible weather here - nights in upper 50s (about 14c), mornings foggy and about 63 (maybe 16-17c) with sun in the afternoons and temps of 75 (about 24c).  The real hell of this is that this lasts, day after day, from mid June through September.

It is a hell on earth.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

KRonn

Quote from: PDH on July 24, 2018, 08:58:26 PM
Horrible weather here - nights in upper 50s (about 14c), mornings foggy and about 63 (maybe 16-17c) with sun in the afternoons and temps of 75 (about 24c).  The real hell of this is that this lasts, day after day, from mid June through September.

It is a hell on earth.
There's little or no variation in the weather? Where are you at? I'm in the north east and we get a wide range of summer, some humd days and many temperate non-humid days. Biggest gripe is that summer is short. Seems our Spring times come later and our Autumns last longer with decent weather.

PDH

Santa Cruz, California.  A very Mediterranean Climate mitigated by the cold Pacific Ocean and it's marine layer of fog.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Liep

2nd day of plus 30 degrees here but they're saying this heatwave will bring thunder and rain with it in a few days, so that'll be a nice change.

I'll just post this now: 2nd day of thunderstorms here, I miss the sun.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2018, 04:30:15 AM
2nd day of plus 30 degrees here but they're saying this heatwave will bring thunder and rain with it in a few days, so that'll be a nice change.

I'll just post this now: 2nd day of thunderstorms here, I miss the sun.

Day 45 (wild guess) of the relentless sun and dry conditions; #GreatBritishBakeOff.   :bowler:

Duque de Bragança

Coldest July month in 30 years in Portugal as in 20-30 C° instead of 30-40 C°. I can live with that. Less forest fires too.

http://theportugalnews.com/news/coldest-july-in-30-years/46313

QuoteColdest July in 30 years

Latest data released by the Portuguese Met Office has revealed that the month of July has been the coolest in 30 years.

Coldest July in 30 years

Figures for the first 18 days of the month, show that maximum temperatures dropped by 1.6 degrees Celsius when compared with existing averages.

Southern Portugal has also been considerably cooler, with three days out of the first 18 being four degrees lower than averages.

The extended forecasts for the remainder of July indicate that highs will remain below the average.

crazy canuck

In the middle of a heat wave here too, and no precipitation - grasses are turning golden.  Quite something for what is supposed to be a temperate rain forest

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2018, 10:59:37 AM
In the middle of a heat wave here too, and no precipitation - grasses are turning golden.  Quite something for what is supposed to be a temperate rain forest

Here almost every summer lawns turn brown due to lack of rain. Even the rain we've had off and on since Sunday hasn't yet made much difference as the grass is still mostly brown and dried out. The lawns will recover about September-October as we usually get more rain during that time and through Autumn. Early last Autumn after a good amount of rain my lawn became so green and full it surprised me, as it was quite a stark contrast to the dry, barren look previously during summer.