News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2018, 12:35:49 AM
Apparently there was a heatwave in Britain in 1976. However, that was isolated compared to this year's heat:

Syt that's rather startling, though I'm not sure I should thank you for it. :depression sets in:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2018, 11:59:09 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 27, 2018, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2018, 04:30:15 AM
2nd day of plus 30 degrees here but they're saying this heatwave will bring thunder and rain with it in a few days, so that'll be a nice change.

4th day of plus 30 degrees here but they're saying this heatwave will bring thunder and rain with it in a few days, so that'll be a nice change.

It just started here and temp is supposed to be down to 22 tomorrow. :cool:

We got a few drops of rain but the temperatures are still +30, forecasted for the next few days as well. :melting:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 29, 2018, 07:01:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2018, 11:59:09 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 27, 2018, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2018, 04:30:15 AM
2nd day of plus 30 degrees here but they're saying this heatwave will bring thunder and rain with it in a few days, so that'll be a nice change.

4th day of plus 30 degrees here but they're saying this heatwave will bring thunder and rain with it in a few days, so that'll be a nice change.

It just started here and temp is supposed to be down to 22 tomorrow. :cool:

We got a few drops of rain but the temperatures are still +30, forecasted for the next few days as well. :melting:

Today we may have had a total of 40-50mm of rain.  :bowler:

In the previous 54 days before Friday most of places in Southern England had rainfall in the range of 0.4-1.8mm, and it's probable many places have no real rain at all for the last two months.  :(

mongers

Liep

I feel its reality. It's 03:00 and still too fucking hot north of that..
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

But 39 in Germany is ridiculous

Syt

Looks legit. We'll have up to 33-36 in Vienna this week.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

So is that some sort of unheard of temperature in central Europe?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 31, 2018, 04:09:26 AM
So is that some sort of unheard of temperature in central Europe?

Recall that European countries, particularly the bits above say Spain and Italy are largely places with no at home a/c.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Moreover, my building doesn't permit the installation of a proper A/C because of its protected status and the noise associated with it. Best I can do is a mobile one which is highly ineffective in terms of cooling and energy consumption. Besides, the real issue are the meter thick brick walls in my building which conduct and store heat quite well. When heat breaks, my apartment will cool off by 1° per day (unless we get a heavy rain).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 30, 2018, 07:11:32 PM
Is this for real:

Some days ago some German medium was joking about the coolest place in Europe being Portugal, literaly.  :lol:

QuoteSollten Sie am Freitag Abkühlung suchen: Portugal 💦

Grey Fox

Syt's building needs heat pumps.

It's also hot in America but the only thing without A/C I go to is the inside of my car.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Parisians will be headed to Nice to cool off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2018, 07:53:21 AM
Syt's building needs heat pumps.

It's also hot in America but the only thing without A/C I go to is the inside of my car.

You don't have A/C in your car? I would consider that a health hazard.

This summer has been pretty bad even by our obscene standards. At least we have gotten some rain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2018, 05:40:48 AM
Moreover, my building doesn't permit the installation of a proper A/C because of its protected status and the noise associated with it. Best I can do is a mobile one which is highly ineffective in terms of cooling and energy consumption. Besides, the real issue are the meter thick brick walls in my building which conduct and store heat quite well. When heat breaks, my apartment will cool off by 1° per day (unless we get a heavy rain).

I can't do real a/c either as I don't have windows that open in the right way to have an inserted unit (well I do in my bedroom but there are bars on those that would prevent installation of a unit).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.