News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Global Warming and Rising Sea Levels

Started by Jacob, June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Iormlund on June 14, 2013, 12:28:54 PM
A rise of a few meters would see a lot of former ports on the coast again: Places like Efesus or Miletus. The Thermopiles would be as narrow as they were when the 300 defended them. A couple more meters and the plain below Troy would resemble the one described by Homer as well.

Huh. 10-20 meters and Argos is a port too.

Edit: Five meters and Carthage is on an island. Ten and most of the old city is underwater.  :huh:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on June 12, 2013, 08:16:36 PM
If we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth.
QuoteI believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit that the part of me that is going will very much miss the part of you that is staying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Could be.
Just the same, I think I'll invest in SCUBA equipment manufacturers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson