News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Global Warming and Rising Sea Levels

Started by Jacob, June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2013, 02:45:57 PM
Aren't almost all of the flooding estimates wildly pessimistic?

Aren't most estimates of sea level rise somewhat less than 1-2m?  This will still be catestrohpic in certain areas, but  nothing like the massive and widespread flooding this tool suggests.

I just posted it because I thought it's interesting - more like a what if than a "omg look what's going to happen!"

From what I gather, they're saying if all the polar ice melts we're looking at 60m rise + a bit more from the glaciers that presumably will also melt under those conditions. I don't think anyone is projecting the icecaps to melt completely in the near future.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2013, 02:55:55 PM
:lol:  Back in the 70s when everyone was worried about global cooling, Jake would've been sharing scary glaciation maps.

Unlikely, given my age at the time.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2013, 02:55:55 PM
:lol:  Back in the 70s when everyone was worried about global cooling, Jake would've been sharing scary glaciation maps.
:lol: Now in 2013, people who proudly celebrate willful ignorance repeat a talking point borne out of proud willful ignorance.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm

The Brain

More people are land insecure today than at any earlier point since measurements began.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I always thought that the global cooling thing was more tied to nuclear winter than anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on June 12, 2013, 03:37:08 PM
I always thought that the global cooling thing was more tied to nuclear winter than anything.

Nah - I vaguely remember reading some 70s-era sci-fi that talked about a new ice age.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2013, 03:41:06 PM

Nah - I vaguely remember reading some 70s-era sci-fi that talked about a new ice age.

Well that settles it then.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 12, 2013, 03:43:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2013, 03:41:06 PM

Well that settles it then.

Glad I could help. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2013, 03:51:22 PM
http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

That conforms with garbon's link to wikipedia:
QuoteGlobal cooling was a conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles. In contrast to the global cooling conjecture, the current scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth has not durably cooled, but undergone global warming throughout the 20th century.

Which again is consistent with dguller's link.

I'm glad you're all in agreement :cheers: