And we're back!

Main Menu

Global Warming and Rising Sea Levels

Started by Jacob, June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2013, 03:57:04 PM
I look forward to having waterfront property  :showoff:

How much of an increase do you need for that? 150m?

mongers

Thirteen metres seems to be beach-front territory for me, but since I all but live 'in' a river, it'll get problematic for me a fair bit before that, assuming such scenarios see increased rainfall.

However thirteen metres is far more of a problem for London:
http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=51.5000,0.0524&zoom=10&m=13

Portsmouth and it's hinterland is in greater danger, 9 metres sees it all but gone, this map suggest about 250,00-300,000 would be displace in this area of my home county:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM
(Denmark is not sitting pretty).

What are you talking about? I'll be getting an ocean view and we'll get rid of Amager, win/win. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

My apartment is safe at up to 70 meters.  However, the lobby would be flooded at 9 meters, so I'll have to really stock up on food when it gets to 8.5 meter mark.

Josephus

As long as it doesn't happen for 30-40 more years, I'm, like, whatever.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I thought we already debunked the global cooling thing here before.  I guess Derspeiss wasn't here that day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2013, 07:58:16 PM
I thought we already debunked the global cooling thing here before.  I guess Derspeiss wasn't here that day.
I don't think these people listen, to be honest.

Phillip V

If we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth.

Eddie Teach

If the ice melts, we'll have enough water for fracking.  :cool:

p.s. didn't realize Phil was still a teenager
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Is the map just a simple 'paint all areas  blue that are below x sea level' dealy or does it take into account natural barriers?

Quote from: Viking on June 12, 2013, 02:16:05 PM
Not a problem

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/sweden-the-land-of-the-rising-coastline-8373787.html

QuoteThe uplift of almost a centimetre a year, one of the highest rates in the world, is part of a geological rebound that has been taking place since the end of the Ice Age removed a vast ice sheet from regions around the Arctic Circle. "It's a bit like a foam rubber mattress. It takes a while to return to normal after you get up," said Martin Vermeer, a professor of geodesy at Aalto University in Finland. Finland gains 2.7 square miles a year as the land rises.

QuoteMeanwhile, elsewhere in the world, many nations are worried by the costs should sea levels rise in line with scenarios modelled by UN climate-change scientists – in 2007, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicted increases of between 18cm and 59cm during this century, after 17cm in the last one. As a result, representatives of almost 200 governments are currently meeting in Doha, Qatar, to try to revive a UN-led effort to slow climate change, which is also projected to cause more floods, droughts, heatwaves and powerful storms.

The cutting off of the north atlantic drift will be what sends you guys into refugee camps in the UK. :menace:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

:lol: I'm sure you did, hat-boy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2013, 08:54:27 PM

:lol: I'm sure you did, hat-boy.

It wasn't me.  Someone posted a graph of articles about global cooling and global warming.  Global cooling was never something that everyone was talking about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2013, 08:49:06 PM
Is the map just a simple 'paint all areas  blue that are below x sea level' dealy or does it take into account natural barriers?

The former.  I looked at a close-in of South Florida and it was just highlighting every lake, pond, and other low spot on the map.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2013, 08:15:02 PM
I don't think these people listen, to be honest.

Oh, I bet we could get him to answer differently if he was paid for a right answer.