News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Xbox Reveal at 10PDT/1EDT

Started by DontSayBanana, May 21, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I actually think this is a much bigger deal than the last generation of consoles.

But not because of gaming, really.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2013, 11:00:31 PM
I actually think this is a much bigger deal than the last generation of consoles.

But not because of gaming, really.
Why?
I'm curious.

I can't really compare there. The last generation too wasn't quite the epic event new consoles used to be. The wii being an exception.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

While the TV/entertainment functions coming with the new consoles are pretty neat/interesting, I'm doubting that this will be relevant for non-US/-Canada customers in the next couple of years. The licensing of video on demand, for example, happens in Europe still by country, which means there's still nothing remotely comparable to hulu or netflix even in potentially huge markets like Germany. And they'd have to adapt their offering to whatever is the local requirement/law/market.

Looking at iTunes stores all over Europe, for instance, reveals huge differences in what's available (Austrian iTunes only slowly started adding movies/TV shows in the last year or so and his far behind Germany which in turn is far behind Uk and US).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Don't kid yourself Syt, Canada is in the same boat than Germany.

Well, the reception of this is a damn disaster. I rather not have a Micro/Camera combo listening & watching my everymove in my living room.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Yeah, the PS4 reveal seemed to leave people, "Meh", while this one creates, "Thanks, but no thanks".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2013, 11:31:56 AM
Yeah, the PS4 reveal seemed to leave people, "Meh", while this one creates, "Thanks, but no thanks".

I'm guessing the latter is more positive? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

I have no idea why I would want a new console.  The ones we have now seem quite adequate for the few times the boys actually spend time on the things.  Personally I never got into console gaming.  Probably because I am not into FPS type games.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2013, 01:49:13 PM
I have no idea why I would want a new console.  The ones we have now seem quite adequate for the few times the boys actually spend time on the things.  Personally I never got into console gaming.  Probably because I am not into FPS type games.

I think Far Cry Blood Dragon is one of the few FPS games that I own on my PS3. Most games I play are 3rd person (GTA, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc.)

Oh actually I also have Resistance: Fall of Man as an FPS.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Ugh.  Reading the results of the Q&A after the actual reveal presentation, I'm going to call this one of the most fucking stupid console releases ever.  The used game "unlock fee" in particular is just going to kill that before it ever hits the market- that's prime material for legal challenges that Microsoft can't win.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2013, 05:57:42 PM
Ugh.  Reading the results of the Q&A after the actual reveal presentation, I'm going to call this one of the most fucking stupid console releases ever.  The used game "unlock fee" in particular is just going to kill that before it ever hits the market- that's prime material for legal challenges that Microsoft can't win.

When did you get called to the bar?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2013, 06:34:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2013, 06:23:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

SCOTUS literally just reinforced this.

So I see - Microsoft, a company with $73 billion dollars in income and enough money to hire the best law firms in the country, just made a legal mistake so obvious that you are positive they can't win.

Colour me sceptical.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2013, 07:07:22 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2013, 06:34:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2013, 06:23:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

SCOTUS literally just reinforced this.

So I see - Microsoft, a company with $73 billion dollars in income and enough money to hire the best law firms in the country, just made a legal mistake so obvious that you are positive they can't win.

Colour me sceptical.

He also just said that it will kill their console and also told us that PS3 owners can play PS2 games on their PS3s so...

Neil

Are there any games involved in this game console?  It seemed to me that most everything revolved around TV, a medium that I am profoundly uninterested in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.