And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2015, 10:39:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:04:39 AM
I think, as a Republican, that I'm very disappointed in the Republican spread.

Try Nutella.

You think Nutella will have a lower nut content than the Republican spread?

Martinus

Saw an interview with Marco Rubio on yesterday's Daily Show. For a Republican he sounds quite bright and has a number of good ideas. Any chance of him scoring a nomination?

He had an interesting idea about allowing people to get credits towards a professional degree through work experience (rather than only college attendance).

Admiral Yi

He has probably put himself on the wrong side of the immigration debate to win a GOP primary.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Isn't he a Tea Party poster boy? IMO If so that would sink him. He would not get my vote if he was attached to those nut jobs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2015, 02:30:31 PM
He had an interesting idea about allowing people to get credits towards a professional degree through work experience (rather than only college attendance).

We called them "interns" once.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 02:35:59 PM
He has probably put himself on the wrong side of the immigration debate to win a GOP primary.

Certainly doesn't help, but if he's clever enough he can overcome it.  Rand, Jeb and possibly others also have potential immigration baggage.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 12:45:30 AM
Huckabee was a good example of the Christian right. Lovely tone that.

I like him on his show on Fox, which he dropped because of exploring the run for President. He does a pretty good show and IMO he should stick to it, as I don't see him as getting the Repub nomination and I don't see him as a President.

Jacob

I read somewhere that all of Romney's 2012 election promises re: the economy (unemployment rate, economic growth, etc) have been fulfilled by now.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2015, 04:37:24 PM
I read somewhere that all of Romney's 2012 election promises re: the economy (unemployment rate, economic growth, etc) have been fulfilled by now.

Proof he was right all along. :contract:

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I think I tripped over that piece as well recently;  it's kind of like that picture of Michele Bachmann in front of the gas station taking credit for the $2/gallon prices she promised as a presidential candidate.

YOU GO GIRL!  THANK YOU MICHELLE!

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 01:05:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2015, 12:39:53 AM
I also think that the Establishment GOP aren't very competent.   

This isn't news.  Depending on exactly how you define the Establishment GOP, the only time a candidate from that part of the party won a Presidential election in the last 80 years was in 1988.  (Eisenhower, I'd say, was backed by the GOP Establishment, but he himself wasn't exactly a member of the Establishment.)

You define it differently then I do.  The last time a GOP establishment candidate didn't win the primary was 1980.  And that guy created a new establishment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 04:41:01 PM

Yeah, I think I tripped over that piece as well recently;  it's kind of like that picture of Michele Bachmann in front of the gas station taking credit for the $2/gallon prices she promised as a presidential candidate.

YOU GO GIRL!  THANK YOU MICHELLE!

I'm guessing that Republicans are no longer saying that Obama has to "own" this economy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2015, 04:45:24 PM
I'm guessing that Republicans are no longer saying that Obama has to "own" this economy.

Obstructionism DOES work!

Martinus

Didn't some of them already claim that the recent economy boost was caused by the people gaining confidence from the Republican victory in the Congress?  :lol: