2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 10:42:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 10:16:05 PM
Lol, Trump doesn't even fit on the scale

What's the point of a "libertarian" circle, if Rand Paul is the only one in it?

In what possible way is Fiorina "establishment"?
There might not be many libertarian leaning candidates, but there are lots of libertarian leaning voters.

A former CEO, who was the party's choice to run for a senate seat sounds pretty establishment. None of her political views seem to fall outside of what you would expect. Perhaps it might be appropriate to move her a bit closer to the Christain conservative sphere given her fiery prolife rhetoric in the last debate, but other than that her placement seems alright.

Yeah, I wonder what Beeb considers as the "establishment" if the big business candidate is not one.  :huh:

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 21, 2015, 07:44:07 AM

He looks antifragile, the more the media attack him the more popular he gets.  :hmm:

It's a GOP primary. They view the media as their enemy.

I can't imagine why - the media has been falling all over itself to give Trump a pulpit to spew his bullshit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

I must admit, as an outsider, to being totally puzzled by Trump's popularity. Is it just a big middle finger extended at 'the political establishment' or not? To us up here in Canada, he just looks and sounds like a hideous troll.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

His quality as a hideous troll is a huge part of his appeal.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I think Trump (and the Trump phenomenon) is fucking fascinating.

Actually, I take that back - the phenomenon is fascinating, Trump himself is boring as fuck.

He is a consequence of our completely fucked up political system. He is the end result, or one of them, of a long series of utterly ridiculous evolution's in US politics - the failure of campaign finance reform, the polarization of the parties, a decade of Republican refusal to govern, the previous decade of Democrats vilifying and demonizing Bush.

We are at a place where the "Trump" is possible not because he is a real candidate, but because the real candidates are so fucking transparently fake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2015, 10:13:03 AM
I must admit, as an outsider, to being totally puzzled by Trump's popularity. Is it just a big middle finger extended at 'the political establishment' or not? To us up here in Canada, he just looks and sounds like a hideous troll.
I've said it before, but I think you can get a pretty distorted idea of Trump's appeal if you just watch the snippets.  You come away thinking that all he's doing is spewing insults left and right, whereas he actually does have a narrative that can fool people if you listen to it in entirety.  It's a content-less narrative, more or less, but it's delivered with gusto.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2015, 10:13:03 AM

I think that's part of it.  I think another part of it is the fact he's a celebrity and these people are fans of his show.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 22, 2015, 10:27:53 AM

Actually, I take that back - the phenomenon is fascinating, Trump himself is boring as fuck.

He is a consequence of our completely fucked up political system. He is the end result, or one of them, of a long series of utterly ridiculous evolution's in US politics - the failure of campaign finance reform, the polarization of the parties, a decade of Republican refusal to govern, the previous decade of Democrats vilifying and demonizing Bush.

We are at a place where the "Trump" is possible not because he is a real candidate, but because the real candidates are so fucking transparently fake.

You need to say "fuck" a few more times before I'm interested in reading this.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

True to a great extent. People are so fed up with the BS that they're looking for someone very different, thinking that that someone will have a chance to clean up the political mess and systemic corruption. Same reason Carson and Fiorina are up there in pols. Same goes for Sanders on the Dem side of things. At least right now for all of them.

Grey Fox

This.

If you are not politicaly savy, it's the first time in a long time that a candidate is someone you know and heard of. And he's pushing shit into the face of people you don't know nor care about while making it fun.

21st Century Politics, entertainment the same way the Kardashians are.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Fox News poll 9/22  ____ Change since last poll on 8/13

Trump - 26%  ____ +1%
Carson - 18% ____ +6%
Fiorina - 9% ____ +4%
Rubio - 9% ____ +5%
Cruz - 8% ____ -2%
Jeb! - 7% ____ -2%
Christie - 5% ____ +2%
Kasich - 4% ____ 0%
Huckabee - 3% ____ -3%
Paul - 2% ____ -1%
Pataki - 1% ____ 0%
Santorum - 0% ---- -1%
Jindal - 0% ---- -1%
Graham - 0% ----  0%
Gilmore - 0% ---- 0%
Walker - * ____ -6%
Perry - * ____ -1%

Dems
Clinton 44% ____ -5%
Sanders 30% ____ 0%
Biden 18% ____ +8%
O'Malley 2% ____ +1%
Webb 1% ____ 0%
Chafee 0% ____ 0%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Bloomberg came out with their first poll of the cycle.

Clinton 33%
Sanders 24%
Biden 25%
O'Malley 1%
Webb 2%
Chafee 0% 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Wow, Pataki has surged way clear of the rest of the special ed class.

jimmy olsen

Apparently Mitt Romeny was born a middle aged man.  :lol:

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=PlYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA69&dq=george+romney&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
Quote from: George Romney in 1958
Mitt has been hard to convince. He asks things like 'Daddy, if we're so good why do we only have three percent of the market?' or 'When'll we be one of the big three?'

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2015, 12:03:51 AM
Apparently Mitt Romeny was born a middle aged man.  :lol:
And he'll die a middle aged man, whenever that happens.