News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 21, 2015, 06:45:31 PM
Nobody cares about that shit, Tim.  They want zingers and one-liners.
Romney, Kerry, Gore, Dole, Bush sr., none of them were exactly the soul of wit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

It's sad that wit seems to be a requirement for being POTUS, but at least a lack of it shut down Walker's campaign.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Walker was completely invisible in the first two debates.  Just a big bag of meh.  Still, I expected that to be a stumble for him, not a fatal shortcoming.  I really figured him to have more of a base of support than this.

alfred russel

He may have quit because he looks worse and worse every day in the campaign. From a distance, I thought he was a conservativish governor of a blueish state that ignited a firestorm by some mildish union bashing (he wouldn't be considered especially anti union in Georgia). But he said some things in the campaign that made me think he was whack job conservative. Maybe he felt he needed to say those things to have a shot, but saying them meant he was going to lose his fall back option of returning to politics in Wisconsin.

If he really was all in on being president, I think he quit too soon. Santorum, Huckabee, McCain, and even Obama came from way back at points in the primary, and there is still a long way to go.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2015, 05:55:34 PM
Two down, Fourteen to go. :bleeding:

Couldn't all but one or two give up now, to save people from this protracted process. Then we get to see Trump face off against a couple of substantial opponents for a long enough time to better reveal his failings as a candidate? 
I was wondering why I hadn't seen much of your crying about the U.S. election cycle
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 08:46:58 PM

4/5 were losers, and the fifth was a one term president.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 10:16:05 PM
Lol, Trump doesn't even fit on the scale

What's the point of a "libertarian" circle, if Rand Paul is the only one in it?

In what possible way is Fiorina "establishment"?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 10:40:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 08:46:58 PM

4/5 were losers, and the fifth was a one term president.
However, they did get nominated because the party base cared about those things.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 10:42:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 10:16:05 PM
Lol, Trump doesn't even fit on the scale

In what possible way is Fiorina "establishment"?
There might not be many libertarian leaning candidates, but there are lots of libertarian leaning voters.

A former CEO, who was the party's choice to run for a senate seat sounds pretty establishment. None of her political views seem to fall outside of what you would expect. Perhaps it might be appropriate to move her a bit closer to the Christain conservative sphere given her fiery prolife rhetoric in the last debate, but other than that her placement seems alright.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 10:50:34 PM
There might not be many libertarian leaning candidates, but there are lots of libertarian leaning voters.

Rand Paul is polling 3.5%.  Methinks there aren't actually that many libertarian voters, despite what the internet might think.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

Razgovory

How exactly is that big diagram made?  What are the numbers behind it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2015, 11:02:42 PM
How exactly is that big diagram made?  What are the numbers behind it?
He explained in an old post many months ago. I'm trying to find it, but I'm having a tough time. If I find it, I'll post it.

EDIT:

Here it is

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/romney-and-the-gops-five-ring-circus/

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 10:53:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2015, 10:50:34 PM

Rand Paul is polling 3.5%.  Methinks there aren't actually that many libertarian voters, despite what the internet might think.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

He's run a weak campaign, veered toward the party's center, and been pounded in debates. Naturally his support is low.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2015, 10:42:37 PM

Because it helps depicting how other candidates relate to libertarian policies. I.e., according to the graph Fiorina would be more libertarian leaning than somebody like Huckabee.