Will the Government shut down on the 27th of March?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2013, 03:00:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
Not applying the cuts equally to every department would be a start.

That's just another way of saying the cuts aren't intelligent.  Which departments should get more?
Cutting everything equally isn't intelligent. There should be discrimination and prioritisation - governments are elected to make choices and not doing that is a sort of abdication of that.

What you think should be cut is going to depend entirely on your political persuasion. For myself - based on what I know of the US - I'd eliminate agricultural subsidies, massively slash defence spending, cut aid to the states to barely anything and possibly nationalise something...:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 29, 2013, 03:01:34 PM
Yeah, heaven forbid the president take an opportunity to show some real leadership :lol:
Exactly my point. It was the right policy but for all the wrong reasons.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 03:04:48 PM
What you think should be cut is going to depend entirely on your political persuasion. For myself - based on what I know of the US - I'd eliminate agricultural subsidies, massively slash defence spending, cut aid to the states to barely anything and possibly nationalise something...:mellow:

Well thankfully you have no say. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

But the criticism is not that the cuts "don't fit my political persuasion," it's that they're stupid.  The obverse of stupid is smart.  So the person who calls the cuts stupid is implicitly stating that there are a set of cuts which are intelligent.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2013, 03:05:54 PM
Indeed :lol:

I'm still someone who thinks the biggest disappointment of the coalition was that neither party used it to break their most expensive, ruinous and ridiculous policies of protecting NHS budget (Tories) or always largely increasing pensions (Lib Dems) <_<

Needless to say no-one agrees with me on that :P

QuoteBut the criticism is not that the cuts "don't fit my political persuasion," it's that they're stupid.  The obverse of stupid is smart.  So the person who calls the cuts stupid is implicitly stating that there are a set of cuts which are intelligent.
Eating a Chinese buffet is stupid. Choosing a restaurant you like is smart. When you're out with a group and can't make up your mind because someone wants to gorge in a brasserie, someone fancies numerous over-priced local tapas and someone wants a rather thin Austrian gruel. Settling for the buffet is stupid. The guy who then says it while you sit down to prawn toast may be a bit of a dick, but they're not wrong.

It was stupid not to have been able to make choices - the content of those choices is going to depend on someone's political persuasion.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 03:13:04 PM
Eating a Chinese buffet is stupid. Choosing a restaurant you like is smart. When you're out with a group and can't make up your mind because someone wants to gorge in a brasserie, someone fancies numerous over-priced local tapas and someone wants a rather thin Austrian gruel. Settling for the buffet is stupid. The guy who then says it while you sit down to prawn toast may be a bit of a dick, but they're not wrong.

It was stupid not to have been able to make choices - the content of those choices is going to depend on someone's political persuasion.

Settling for the Chinese buffet is not stupid if two of the guys hate French food, two of the guys hate tapas, and two of the guys hate Austrian...gruel?  The fact that you eat Austrian gruel three times a day doesn't make Der Gruelhaus a smart choice.

Sheilbh

Have you been to a Chinese buffet? It's always stupid. Settle for a real restaurant.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2013, 03:05:54 PM

No shit, right?  I think everybody regardless of political persuasion can agree on that one!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 03:24:54 PM
Have you been to a Chinese buffet? It's always stupid. Settle for a real restaurant.

So you think Obama should have settled for privatizing Medicare.  That's a real restaurant.

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2013, 02:54:22 PM
I think giving the Prez the ability to choose the cuts merely made it more likely the cuts would happen. The latter being the objective.

:lol:

The point of giving the president the ability to target the cuts was to allow the Republicans to take credit for cutting spending in general and reducing the deficit (two things that are popular), leaving the president with the blame for cutting specific things (something which is almost always unpopular).

derspiess

Cute how you guys defend the president's decision due to political implications.  You'd be nailing a GOP prez to the cross if the roles were reversed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2013, 04:01:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2013, 02:54:22 PM
I think giving the Prez the ability to choose the cuts merely made it more likely the cuts would happen. The latter being the objective.

:lol:

The point of giving the president the ability to target the cuts was to allow the Republicans to take credit for cutting spending in general and reducing the deficit (two things that are popular), leaving the president with the blame for cutting specific things (something which is almost always unpopular).

Oh yeah that makes sense.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 29, 2013, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2013, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 29, 2013, 02:30:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 02:22:47 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 29, 2013, 01:47:37 PM
I'd think it would make sense to let managers decide what cuts can be made to have the least impact on their actual responsibilities. My understanding of sequester is it just says cut across the board everything in a department, with no regard to discriminate between what's necessary or not. 

This is true;  apparently operational management has no discretion in the specificity of the cuts, which would make much more sense.

The GOP proposed giving the president flexibility to target the cuts as he saw fit and he turned them down.

And what did they want?

Uh, to give the president flexibility to target the cuts as he saw fit.  :unsure:

I meant in return.  Could you link me something describing this remarkable political charity?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2013, 03:08:24 PM

But the criticism is not that the cuts "don't fit my political persuasion," it's that they're stupid.  The obverse of stupid is smart.  So the person who calls the cuts stupid is implicitly stating that there are a set of cuts which are intelligent.

Cutting across the board will reduce effectiveness across the board.  It's usually better to target cuts in some particular area, by say removing some programs or budget items entirely, then settle with everything being weaker.  No idea why you'd nationalize something.  That seems like it would make matter worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Isn't it about what's good for the country? Sometimes leadership means doing the right thing even if it hurts you politically.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall