Will the Government shut down on the 27th of March?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 09:21:51 AM
The problem with gestures like this is it gives people the impression that progress is being made.

Not really. What it shows is that Congress is willing to give up a few unnecessary perks to save a few pennies. It's the least they can do given that they're asking for billions in taxes and trillions in cuts to health care.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on March 28, 2013, 09:33:16 AM
Not really. What it shows is that Congress is willing to give up a few unnecessary perks to save a few pennies. It's the least they can do given that they're asking for billions in taxes and trillions in cuts to health care.

You know Meri, they're asking for billions in taxes and trillions in cuts so we don't go bust.  As a country.

This is really bizarre thinking to me.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 09:39:53 AM

You know Meri, they're asking for billions in taxes and trillions in cuts so we don't go bust.  As a country.

This is really bizarre thinking to me.

:huh:

I know. What is so bizarre about it? I am all for the taxes and the cuts. I'm also all for cutting the stupid little things that cost us over time but have no real value to the country as a whole.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on March 28, 2013, 09:49:16 AM

I know. What is so bizarre about it? I am all for the taxes and the cuts. I'm also all for cutting the stupid little things that cost us over time but have no real value to the country as a whole.

The bizarre part is the notion is that our government is those guys over there who are taking our money, and in exchange for taxes and spending cuts they have to give up something. 

We're a representative democracy.  We elect people who decide who gets taxed and how much, and what to spend it on.  All that spending goes to us.

Also, you never addressed the issue of your sudden change of heart on deficit reduction since Teh Fiscal Cliff.

DGuller

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 10:02:01 AM

The bizarre part is the notion is that our government is those guys over there who are taking our money, and in exchange for taxes and spending cuts they have to give up something. 

We're a representative democracy.  We elect people who decide who gets taxed and how much, and what to spend it on.  All that spending goes to us.

Also, you never addressed the issue of your sudden change of heart on deficit reduction since Teh Fiscal Cliff.

What sudden change? I still believe that we need to take it slow. That doesn't mean that I don't think it should happen at all.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2013, 10:53:45 AM
Did the US shut down? Please say yes.

I would like to know too. Could have a day off.  :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 10:02:01 AM

Yi's right.  Also handsome and oh so smart.

More to the point, goverment isn't an "us vs them" thing.  They are us.  We elect members of our our citizenry to represent us.  In a sense we have all contributed to the debt, we can't blame some nebulous "them", for the problems of government, it is our fault, even handsome Yi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Don't worry Yi I am not even remotely assured by the Senators having to get private sector haircuts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 03:16:11 PM
More to the point, goverment isn't an "us vs them" thing.  They are us.  We elect members of our our citizenry to represent us.  In a sense we have all contributed to the debt, we can't blame some nebulous "them", for the problems of government, it is our fault, even handsome Yi.

I am not sure they are as directly answerable to my will as you seem to think :hmm:

But anyway who gives a flying fuck whose fault it is?  We need to get the problems fixed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 03:16:11 PM
we can't blame some nebulous "them", for the problems of government,

I'll just blame you.  How about that? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Good enough.

Seriously though, I think Congress is much more responsive to what people want then we give them credit for.  The problem is that we want contradictory things.  People want low taxes and high quality services.  The result is high debt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 03:49:11 PM
Seriously though, I think Congress is much more responsive to what people want then we give them credit for.  The problem is that we want contradictory things.  People want low taxes and high quality services.  The result is high debt.

Oh I agree.  I have not been effective at convincing other people that my ideas are right, as is pretty evident on this forum :P

I have alwas been in favor of tax and spend or not tax and not spend.  Either way is fine really.  The majority of Americans clearly disagree and believe in some sort of magical debt fairy.  But they are not alone, looking at how Germany is being treated NOT deficit spending is clearly Nazi-esque Imperialism of the worst kind.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 03:49:11 PM

There's some truth to that.  But I think another problem is with career politicians (on both sides) who get entrenched in their positions and institutionalize bad habits, like deficit spending.

I used to be 100% against term limits but I'm much more open to the idea now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall