Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2013, 04:33:50 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2013, 04:12:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2013, 12:42:28 PM
I was always of the opinion that if you're going to be racist, at least be precise.  The confusion of Indians with Arabs puzzles me.
With fatal consequences. :(

Yeah, wasn't there a chick who was shoving Hispanics in front of subway trains because she thought they were Arabs?

The chick was Hispanic, and she shoved a Hindu Indian in front of a train for "putting down the twin towers."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2013, 04:55:18 PM
The chick was Hispanic, and she shoved a Hindu Indian in from of a train for "putting down the twin towers."

And how'd he do that?  Drive around longer to run up the cab meter?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2013, 08:04:18 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2013, 04:55:18 PM
The chick was Hispanic, and she shoved a Hindu Indian in from of a train for "putting down the twin towers."

And how'd he do that?  Drive around longer to run up the cab meter?

Apparently by running a print shop in Queens.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

On Christmas Eve you can get gang raped not once, but twice! WTF, India??

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/india-christmas-eve-rape-woman-2965433

QuoteWoman abducted and gang raped after earlier being raped by different group of men

The 20-year-old was abducted and attacked while sight-seeing with friends in Tamil Nadu, India

A petrified woman was abducted and gang-raped as she tried to make her way to safety after being raped by a different group of men.

The victim, 20, told police she was pounced on firstly by three attackers before being released and assaulted minutes later by seven men.

Indian news broadcaster NDTV said the woman was attacked separately over three hours, before friends finally found her lying outside near a lodge where they had rented a room.

She is now said to be recovering in hospital.

There have been 10 arrests after the ordeal on Christmas Eve in Karaikal, India.

The arrests come ahead of today's anniversary of the death of Jyoti Singh, who was gang-raped and thrown off a moving bus in New Delhi.

She died in hospital in Singapore on December 28, two weeks after being attacked.

Her father, Badri Singh, later decided to reveal his tragic daughter's identity – to give strength to other victims.

Four of her attackers were sentenced to death in October.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

While this was quite an extreme example, sex abuse victims are usually subject to repeated offenses by various predators (environment and conditioning). India and ROTW.

MadImmortalMan

Phil. She got raped on the way back from her rape. That's more than just an extreme example. It's nearly statistically impossible. Except in India.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25590769

TLDR: 16 year old girl gets gang raped, is set on fire and dies.

QuoteParents of India gang rape victim seek justice

The parents of a 16-year-old girl who died after being gang-raped and set on fire in the eastern Indian city of Calcutta have vowed to fight for justice.

Her father told BBC News: "Till my last breath, the sole aim of my life will be to get justice for her."

Her mother said her daughter had asked her to "make sure [the] people who did this to me are hanged".

A total of eight men have been arrested in connection with the case.

Protestors are outraged at the police's alleged mishandling of the case.

They are demanding strong action against her alleged attackers.

The case came to light after it was revealed that the girl had not taken her own life but had been deliberately set on fire, allegedly by people close to the suspected rapists.

It was aggravated when a dispute broke out on Indian television between the parents of the girl and the police over the funeral arrangements.

The family accused the police of a cover-up and of wanting to keep the case quiet.

Daily fear
The girl was raped on two separate occasions near her home town of Madhyamgram, first on 26 October, then when she was returning from filing a police complaint the next day.

Six men accused of raping her were arrested soon after.

Nearly two months later on 23 December, the girl was admitted to hospital with burns but succumbed to her injuries on New Year's Eve.

The investigating officer, Madhav Santosh Nimbalkar, told the media that the girl had told him that she had been set on fire by two people. Two men were later arrested.

The incident comes a year after the brutal gang rape of a student in Delhi that triggered huge protests across the country and raises once again the issue of the rights of women and their security.

Correspondents say rape is a common occurrence in India with many cases going unreported.

Although India has tightened its anti-rape laws and society is more openly discussing cases of violence against women, women across India still live with the daily fear of sexual assault and victims still often have to deal with police apathy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/indian-police-danish-tourist-allegedly-gang-raped-21537662

QuoteIndian Police Say Danish Tourist Was Gang-Raped

A Danish tourist was gang-raped near a popular shopping area in New Delhi after she stopped to ask for directions, police said Wednesday, the latest case to focus attention on the scourge of violence against women in India.

The 51-year-old woman also was robbed and beaten in the attack, which happened Tuesday afternoon or early evening near Connaught Place, police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said. The woman had lost her way and was trying to get back to her hotel, he said.

She approached a group of men for directions, but they lured her to a secluded area where they raped her at knife-point, according to the Press Trust of India news agency.

The woman managed to reach her hotel Tuesday evening and the owner called police. Police are questioning several suspects but no arrests have been made.

"When she came, it was miserable," said Amit Bahl, owner of the Amax Hotel in the Paharganj area, which is popular with backpackers. The woman was crying and "not in good shape," he said.

"I am really ashamed that this happened," said Bahl, who sounded shaken.

The Danish Embassy had no comment.

The problem of sexual violence in India has gained widespread attention since the horrific gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old woman on a moving bus in December 2012. Public fury over the case has led to more stringent laws that doubled prison terms for rape to 20 years and criminalized voyeurism and stalking.

But for many women, particularly the poor, daily indignities and abuse continue unabated and the new laws have not made the streets any safer. Ranjana Kumari, Director of India's Center for Social Research, said India's conservative, patriarchal traditions lead men to use rape as a tool to instill fear in women.

"This mindset is not changing," she said. "It's a huge challenge."

Experts say the rapid growth of India's cities and the yawning gulf between rich and poor are exacerbating the problem of sexual violence, with young men struggling to prove their traditional dominance in a changing world.

Cultural stigmas, police apathy and judicial incompetence have long made it difficult for women to even report rapes.

Still, there has been a surge in the number of rapes being reported recently, suggesting women are emboldened to speak up. Between January and October last year, 1,330 rapes were reported in Delhi and its suburbs, compared with 706 for all of 2012, according to government figures.

Foreigners also have been targets, including a Swiss woman who was cycling with her husband in central India when she was gang-raped.

The cases threaten India's lucrative tourism industry. Last year, the Tourism Ministry launched an "I Respect Women" campaign to reassure travelers. Tourism accounted for 6.6 percent of India's GDP in 2012, the latest year for which figures are available.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 31, 2013, 08:28:10 PM
Phil. She got raped on the way back from her rape. That's more than just an extreme example. It's nearly statistically impossible. Except in India.

She must really be hot.

CountDeMoney

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 08:18:49 AM
They really need a teenage dating & sex culture.

Sounds like they're ripe for the seduction community, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...