News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

that depends, is batgirl's room-mate gonna get the same treatment as Alan Scott's partner got in Earth 2?

I'm inclined not to think so since Gail Simone is the original author of the Women in Refrigerators list.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Tacky attention grabbing hacks.
PDH!

katmai

Yes we know all about Neil, but what do you think about the story wags.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

How the hell is that the first transgendered character in mainstream comics?  Shvaughn Erin?*  Desire of the Endless?  Wanda from A Game of You?  Dr. Occult?  Lord Fanny?  Hello?  1992 calling.

Also, I'm trying to parse that page for her response being germane whatsoever.  "THE JOKER SHOT ME IN THE SPINE AND IN THE INTERVENING YEARS THE BATMAN WRITERS RAN OUT OF IDEAS AND SO MY BROTHER WHOM I DON'T THINK HAS EVEN BEEN OTHERWISE MENTIONED SINCE YEAR ONE IS TRYING TO KILL YOU."  "Yeah?  Well, I was born a guy."

*Sure, it was handled reather weirdly, if somewhat poignantly, but not in the way gender dysphoria works, like, at all--but the Bierbaums and Giffen were totally trying.  And sure, they also don't deal with this anymore, because Geoff Johns hates all minorities, which is why he dressed up John Stewart in purple fatigues.  Probably Paul Levitz also, which is why we don't see Tyroc yell at white people nearly as much as we should.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Desire isn't some kind of freak.  He/she doesn't really have a gender.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quoteafter a fan asked why there were fewer gay male superheroes than lesbian ones.

Cause most of the readers are heterosexual males. Duh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

The invasion in Avengers apparently caused $150-160 Billion in damages.
http://hurricane.methaz.org/avengers_estimate.pdf
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 10:08:08 PM

Desire fathered a child.  It fucked Rose Walker's grandmother somehow or another.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on April 11, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
Also, I'm trying to parse that page for her response being germane whatsoever.  "THE JOKER SHOT ME IN THE SPINE AND IN THE INTERVENING YEARS THE BATMAN WRITERS RAN OUT OF IDEAS AND SO MY BROTHER WHOM I DON'T THINK HAS EVEN BEEN OTHERWISE MENTIONED SINCE YEAR ONE IS TRYING TO KILL YOU."  "Yeah?  Well, I was born a guy."

I was actually thinking "Hey my roomie who has shared a bathroom with me for at least a year is TG. I think I may leave the detective thing to the broody guys."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 12, 2013, 06:11:14 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 10:08:08 PM
Desire fathered a child.  It fucked Rose Walker's grandmother somehow or another.
It's also something very much like a god and not at all a person.

Darth Wagtaros

It is a gimmick.  Therefore they don't need to put a lot of effort into it.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

What the...is this true Ide?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534271&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post413921635
QuoteCoincidentally, it's said that when Barry died, he ran so fast that he turned into a bolt of lightning that went back in time and zapped himself to give him superpowers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 12, 2013, 07:28:53 AM

It is a gimmick.  Therefore they don't need to put a lot of effort into it.

Isn't that pretty much true of everything DC and Marvel do nowdays?

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2013, 04:26:13 AM
What the...is this true Ide?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534271&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post413921635
QuoteCoincidentally, it's said that when Barry died, he ran so fast that he turned into a bolt of lightning that went back in time and zapped himself to give him superpowers.

Yes. I've got the book in my Flash collection at home
so I can't tell you the issue (it's a short piece in an annual, maybe no. 2
of vol. 2?), but I can tell you it's pretty rad. I believe it's apocryphal however,
Following the Waid/Augustyn revamps to the Flashes' powers.
Kinemalogue