And we're back!

Main Menu

Rubio and Roberston on Young Earth

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 05:06:01 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 04, 2012, 04:56:10 PM
Personally I think that republican should take the same tack the creationists do in school districts where evolution is on the exam and needed to get into college. Answer the question in this manner "The scientific consensus is....." and give the right answer. I know this is merely shifting the emphasis but what Rubio was trying to achieve is to not insult <INSERT CRAZY FUNDY NAME HERE> and his ilk by telling them that they are stupid; he can achieve that by merely pointing out that NASA thinks <INSERT CRAZY FUNDY NAME HERE> and his ilk are stupid.

Umm but Robertson was the one bashing Young Earth Creationists.

:rolleyes:

There. Now the point stands.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 05:06:01 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 04, 2012, 04:56:10 PM
Personally I think that republican should take the same tack the creationists do in school districts where evolution is on the exam and needed to get into college. Answer the question in this manner "The scientific consensus is....." and give the right answer. I know this is merely shifting the emphasis but what Rubio was trying to achieve is to not insult <INSERT CRAZY FUNDY NAME HERE> and his ilk by telling them that they are stupid; he can achieve that by merely pointing out that NASA thinks <INSERT CRAZY FUNDY NAME HERE> and his ilk are stupid.

Umm but Robertson was the one bashing Young Earth Creationists.

:rolleyes:

There. Now the point stands.

It isn't a nitpick though but a key part of my intention in posting this thread.  The party and even prominent parts of the religious right don't support the view that Rubio just pandered to.

Also, it highlights for MiM why this is news as there's tendency, especially among the liberal of us, to just assume everyone on the religious right can be painted with the same crazy brush.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 05:14:00 PM

It isn't a nitpick though but a key part of my intention in posting this thread.  The party and even prominent parts of the religious right don't support the view that Rubio just pandered to.

Also, it highlights for MiM why this is news as there's tendency, especially among the liberal of us, to just assume everyone on the religious right can be painted with the same crazy brush.

Fair enough. I take back the rolled eyes. :hug:

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2012, 01:58:32 PM
I think my mother in law believes it. :ph34r:
Why did you marry into a family of stupid women?

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2012, 05:22:14 PM
Why did you marry into a family of stupid women?

Because the one he married is brilliant?

Maximus

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on December 04, 2012, 05:30:33 PM
My entire family believes it.
Meri, why did you marry into a stupid family? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

It's pretty strange. My entire family is a bunch of hyper-religious people, including members of the ministry, and not one of them believes it. Nor have I ever met anyone in real life who does. That I know of, anyway. Even growing up in that environment.

Max's family I suppose is understandable as a bit of an outlier. I didn't grow up in Kentucky, of course.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Caliga

You know, I can't say for certain my mother in law believes in creationism.  I'll ask Princesca tonight. :hmm:

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2012, 05:37:06 PM
Meri, why did you marry into a stupid family? :)

Because the one I married is brilliant! :D

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2012, 05:37:51 PM
It's pretty strange. My entire family is a bunch of hyper-religious people, including members of the ministry, and not one of them believes it. Nor have I ever met anyone in real life who does. That I know of, anyway. Even growing up in that environment.

Max's family I suppose is understandable as a bit of an outlier. I didn't grow up in Kentucky, of course.  :P

There are a ridiculous number of my old high school classmates who believe it. I was kind of shocked when a discussion on FB brought it up. Of course, I'm kind of shocked at how many of my old high school classmates have gone over-the-top religious right. They sure as hell weren't when we were in school.

Caliga

The other thing (since Mart started this sub-thread) is I'd wager lots of rural people in Poland believe in creationism too.  I mean, they believe it's ok to put screen doors on submarines over there, so why not in creationism? :showoff:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 05:45:43 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2012, 05:37:51 PM

There are a ridiculous number of my old high school classmates who believe it. I was kind of shocked when a discussion on FB brought it up. Of course, I'm kind of shocked at how many of my old high school classmates have gone over-the-top religious right. They sure as hell weren't when we were in school.

Perhaps they weren't bitter yet. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Does your youngest sister and her husband? (I'm trying to avoid putting names out there; can you tell? :D)